Undated Off Center Indian Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by robbudo, Dec 1, 2023.

1. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

New pickup here. I was drawn to it because that last feather goes between the I and C of AMERICA, dating it from 1864-1886. Then, I think I see a Shallow N - can someone confirm that? And I'm actually unclear on what dates the Shallow N was made: 1869-1872?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

That's a nice coin! It reminds me of an off center indian I once had, it was given to me by my Grandfather, being young and dumb I sold it, for FAR below what it was worth. I have regretted it since. :facepalm:

Your coin looks to be a shallow N, this narrows down the dates your coin could be down to 1870, 1871 or 1872. :)
    shallow-n-vs-bold-n-indian-head-cent.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I still need a dated off center Indian cent, then I will have a complete small cent off center type set.

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. Coins4Eli

Don't forget the flying eagle, you can't have a complete type set without one of those. :greedy:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  6. robbudo

@Coins4Eli - Thanks for that graphic! I didn't know (or long forgot) that the styles of the E's are different. Definitely a Shallow N then, and a super rare string of dates for errors. Can't wait to have it in hand to see if that's a die crack at the tops of AME - maybe that's diagnostic to a particular date.

And maybe that lost coin long ago fueled your life-long hunt? Sad that it go away for sure though.

7. robbudo

@Evan8 That small cent off center collection sounds pretty amazing. You can get pretty deep into it - the new designs - that off center flying eagle. Look forward to seeing it someday.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Worn but a very nice off center coin. You can tell by this coin that circulation problems were present in the economy back then.

9. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

They might have sold a shallow N variety For some reason I am not sold on the obv. What's the grade?

12. robbudo

@Pickin and Grinin it's ANACS VG8, cleaned. Who might have sold one? Or, what's your take on the obverse?

13. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would expect stronger dentil's . The grade should also raise a couple flags, the reverse doesn't show near the wear.

15. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I have had this one for a long time, it's a poor mans version but I think this one still counts lol
    2016-03-18-13-35-29.jpg
    2019-01-31-10-46-02.jpg

SorenCoins likes this.
  16. Coins4Eli

Evan8 likes this.
  17. robbudo

@Evan8 that's beautiful! I haven't been able to afford/find an off center Flying Eagle, so I settled for one with a massive misaligned die (the obverse is perfectly centered).
    [​IMG]

Evan8 likes this.
  18. robbudo

I found the date of the undated Indian in my OP here! It's an 1865 fancy 5. I matched the die crack in mine to this particular variety. Took a few hours to search every single year from 1864-1872 (which contains ALL the dates of the shallow N on the reverse).

Attached Files:

Evan8 and -jeffB like this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Excellent work!

But I'm confused -- I see various sources talking about the shallow N occurring only in the early 1870s, but it's also a well-known diagnostic for the 1877 (business-strike 1877 cents almost all have the shallow N). So I don't know WHAT years could (or must) have the shallow N.

20. robbudo

@-jeffB The confusion comes because 1870, 71, and 72 all had bold and shallow N varieties, until they moved to the bold N for the rest of the series, except 77 as you mentioned. But pre 1870, including both bronze 1864 issues, they all had the shallow N. So the complete list of Shallow N dates: the Bronze 1864 through 1872, plus 77.

-jeffB and Coins4Eli like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted