Toned or Blast white? What's your Walker Preference

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bullionbound, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Bullionbound

Bullionbound New Member

I am about to purchase my first walker halve. I have contacted a dealer and he told me that he has a high-end PCGS MS66 1942 that he really likes. This coin is spotless and is blast-white.

I was wondering what the consensus was for untoned versus toned. It seems that many of the Walkers that I have seen have some degree of toning, some looks good and some looks pretty bad. Is there any benefit in the blast-white, maybe since it is a harder condition to maintain over the years?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. craton

craton New Member

It's all personal preference. Most seem to prefer Blast White coins over toned coins. I prefer toned myself. One very important thing to consider is resell value. With a blast white coin, it will be easier to sell and get your investment back. Of course if the toned coin has spectacular colors, the story changes.
    Jason

4. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

I think the blast white ones are pretty - altho I don't have one. I think the rainbow toned ones (not AT) are pretty too, and I don't have one of those either. I do however, have some circulated ones - that I guess would be toned to a certain point. I think if I had my druthers, and wasn't concerned with budget, would have a "mix" - as they are both very nice. 8O

5. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

I like both coins with pretty colored toning and blast white. I don't like the in-between...brown or black toning. I also don't really like splothcy toning, whatever the color.

6. chrisfuccione

chrisfuccione Member

I could never understand how people could like toned coins. CHRIS

7. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

8. Bullionbound

Bullionbound New Member

Nice buffalo. Looks like the sun is setting on the plains!

9. craton

craton New Member

How could you NOT like these???!
    http://home.pacifier.com/~craton/tonedjeffs.jpg
    These all (4) came in an unc. war era set that I purchased. I don't like them, I love them :wink:

Jason

10. chrisfuccione

chrisfuccione Member

I guess to each is own! When ever I see a toned coin at a show i just go right by it. CHRIS

11. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

How could you NOT like these???!
    http://home.pacifier.com/~craton/tonedjeffs.jpg
    These all (4) came in an unc. war era set that I purchased. I don't like them, I love them :wink:

Jason[/quote]

I've seen these before and they made me jealous then! I have been trying to get a photo of my toned Morgan on a site that I can use to post a photo here, but it ain't working. :p Here's a link, if it works...
    http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/1881obverse.html
    http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/1881reverse.html

The photo does not tell the whole story...it looks kinda dark, but let me tell you, gorgeous blues and purples, and more luster under there than you can shake a stick at! One of my favorites.

12. craton

craton New Member

I've seen these before and they made me jealous then! I have been trying to get a photo of my toned Morgan on a site that I can use to post a photo here, but it ain't working. :p Here's a link, if it works...
    http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/1881obverse.html
    http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/1881reverse.html

The photo does not tell the whole story...it looks kinda dark, but let me tell you, gorgeous blues and purples, and more luster under there than you can shake a stick at! One of my favorites.[/quote]

Very pretty! I love them toned coins! I am out of town today but on my way back into town tomorrow I may purchase a beautiful rainbow toned Liberty nickel. I have to check all of my accounts and scrounge up enough cash before I hit the shop again as they do not take cards :cry:
    I really want that coin. If I get it I'll certainly share.
    Jason

13. djbuna

djbuna Member

I started collecting in the 1960's and "toned" coins were then called "tarnished". What a difference a few decades make. lol

14. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

15. Burks

Burks New Member

Walker's are one of the few that I prefer blast white over any kind toning. Normally I like a nice gold/rose tone around the rims. It just doesn't fit the Walker design in my eyes.

Finding a blast white Walker is kind of hard in my area. When I do find one it is overpriced as well.

16. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

Blast white is better in my opinion.

17. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

There are some coins I prefer toned and some I prefer untoned.

A nice crimson, gold or blue Buffalo is a sight to behold!

But, a nice, original blast white Walker or SLQ is magical. Simply, personal preferences.

All-in-all, however, I would prefer original surfaces to toned (tarnished) surfaces...

18. wooden nickle

wooden nickle New Member

I have several types of coins blastwhite/toned rainbow and toned ugly like them all. To choose is like pennies or dimes, morgans or gold. personally I like blast white on the walker half....... Do you like it is the question. just my thought.

19. Dabalzak

Dabalzak Senior Member

Does blast white mean that it has been cleaned, or was it just taken better care of over the years? I have searched and found different examples of both and they both seem to have a nice quality to them, but the blast white still looks like a new coin.... to the untrained eye ofcourse.

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

For silver coins, I mainly like coins with clean surfaces [not to be confused with cleaned coins]. It doesn't bother me too much whether it's toned or not because eventually every one will tone/tarnish. "Blast white" raises too many red flags unless the coin is already in a slab, in which case, at least there is some assurance that if cleaned, it was properly and not harshly cleaned.

21. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

more for me ;)
    I have some blast white walkers, I recently purchased a stunning toned walker in an anacs slab, 1943 MS63 (I swear its under graded) It has splashes of rainbow toning across it with bright flash. I actually paid a premium for it just because of the toning (about $10.00) over bid.

As far as preference, its just that. preference. One thing to watch out for is coins that have been dipped out, they ususally have a gray palor to them and have no "life". I recommend passing them on.

And if you are planning on dipping coins, make sure to practice on some junk first ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted