Tiny Roman Prov. Temple w Baetyl

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryan McVay, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

OK. I'm at my wits end with this guy. Now before you go and say it's such and such..first know this guy is only 1.72g and 14mm. Tiny for this type.

As usual, help is greatly appreciated.
    baetyl.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

galba68 and Ryan McVay like this.
  4. Ryan McVay

Thanks for the reply. This is going to be one of those coins that I put "uncertain" on. Man, I hate that!

5. Ryan McVay

OK. So maybe not a baetyl but the cult statue of Artemis. There are several different issues from Perge that fall into the 1.6-2.1g range. I am confident enough to at least attribute to the city of Perge to the coin now. With this being the closest..or even this one..

6. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Isn’t that Elagabalus’ black stone? I had a provincial coin of his with a stone shaped object on the reverse in a temple similar to this years ago - it was from a middle eastern mint - all I recall except it was an Elagabalus

7. Ryan McVay

Nope, this is not the baetyl or "black stone" that is probably the center of Mecca. The temples, with the black stone, commonly, have a crescent moon in the pediment of the temple.

8. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

9. Ryan McVay

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  10. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

It could even be that your coin and the well-preserved example of the RPC website are an obverse die match.

upload_2024-3-14_9-40-53.png

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted