The Toning Premium Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Given all the discussion lately about rainbow toned coins and the premiums that they drive in the marketplace, I think it will be fun to create a thread where collectors can post a rainbow toned coin and have other members guess the premium that they paid for the coin.

I think the thread would work better if only one coin is posted at a time. Once a coin is posted, the members of the forum would have 24 hours to respond with their guess about the premium and their reasons why. Once the 24 hours has passed the coin's owner would post the answer and whomever is closest earns the right to either post the next coin or pass to someone else.

I will start. This is an 1882-S NGC MS66 Morgan Dollar that I bought off E-bay in May 2007.

[​IMG]

When making your guesses, please provide a specific dollar amount and don't simply say a multiple of wholesale (eg. 3X).

My hope is that this thread can become a teaching tool for CT members on how to price rainbow toned coins.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I like that one. How about $1200.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

What is bid on the coin?

5. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

MS66 list is 300... I'd guess that coin cost you $1,750 or thereabouts.

Personally, I'd have paid maybe $500. I'm a cheap-edited.

6. Lehigh96

I don't have a greysheet from now or then, but current Numismedia Wholesale is $240.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

The toning on this coin, while attractive, is not particularly stunning. The cheek doesn't look particularly clean for a 66 either (could be the photo). I would guess the coin is worth in today's market somewhere between 3x and 4x bid.

Disclaimer: I do not follow the Morgan toner market, nor do I collect Morgans.

8. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

I agree with Mike about the 4X premium and I am going to guess the coin was purchased for around $800...maybe $900

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

$525.00

Chris

Okay, since you want my reasoning for this, as Doug mentioned further on, CDN was about $175 at that time, so I figured that you won it at about 3X. This isn't what I would consider a "monster" rainbow, and I felt that 3X was appropriate.

cpm

10. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I'll guess $600, or roughly 2.5X.

This could be a fun (and contentious) thread. :devil:

11. DuramaxMike90

DuramaxMike90 Member

Id guess $725. Good looking coin... Don't be offended by my price that is what I WOULD PAY... I also don't have a large coin budget.

12. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Get off the fence and pick a number, as requested, not a price range! :D

By the way, I suggest that anyone who posts a coin to this thread, lets us know how it differs (better or worse) from the images - that could make a huge difference with respect to its value.

13. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I know nothing about the " Rainbow " toned Morgans market , so anything I suggest is purely speculation at best . I think that it may not be very unique to find a MS 66 with this Rainbow effect toning. I think what makes this example somewhat unique is the " one sided " toning. The surface preservation is Exceptional. I think that it is not far fetched to say that collectors who specialize in Rainbow toned Morgans would not hesitate to pay 5 or 6 X the " ask" $240.00 . $1200.00 - $1,400.00 . I also don't think that the toning alone is a key factor in the bidding AS IS THE OBVERSE AREA THAT IS RAINBOW TONED. For me, thats is what makes this example quite unique and worthy of that bid. I think if someone put this coin on Ebay, they knew exactly what this coins "effect" was worth, and it did not go cheap. Okay a specific price, hmmmm $1,480.00 I hope this synopsis meet your expectations, Lehigh.

14. Lehigh96

Guys, please post a specific price guess, not a range. Also, I think it would be fun to discuss how you came to assign the particular premium that you chose.

15. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Out of curiosity what exactly will this thread provide? Or is this pure leisure?
    thanks
    Dimefreak

16. Lehigh96

That really depends upon the level of participation. If people simply submit a price guess, it will be entertainment only. If people provide the exact reasons why they came to the price they chose, it will become a very informative thread and a valuable learning resource about the toned coin market.

Two Dogs likes this.
  17. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

I don`t do Morgans, but I`ll take a shot....$1475. ( I was going to guess $1800) I think this being the first of Your "toning premium" threads....You will post a pic of a Morgan with a high premium.

18. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

19. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

I thought the coin was a MS67...hence my $800 to $900......I don't think an MS66 would sell for that amount even if a MS66 Star. A blast white MS66 1882-S can be had for around $225 so I am going to say Lehigh paid $500 for this MS66 which would give us a premium of around 2.25x. Is that specific enough for you mister high and mighty lol

20. Lehigh96

The certification number of this coin is 200503 which falls in the very early days of the star designation. In my experience, the application of the star designation was very inconsistent back then. If graded today, I think the coin would be a no brainer for the star designation.

So now that we know you price Shane, the real question is why? What characteristics of the coin made you choose 2.25X as your premium?

21. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

My Peace Toners

fav.jpg

One rainbow, one russet.

Draft saved Draft deleted