The Official Grading Experiment, Phase 2, #2

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Feb 10, 2020.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

At the conclusion of Phase 1 around Christmas, I began to think that the photos I was using (from Heritage) might be biasing the grading guesses. So, I want to host Phase 2. I will again be using standardized photos, but this time I'll be using PCGS TrueViews. Again, we will stick to problem free US coins.

So, let's grade some more coins!

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

GTG phase 2 2.jpg

Chuck_A likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

MS66RD is my stab at it

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 65...a few too many stray marks on both sides to be higher

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

On the reverse of the coin, in the area circled below, the texture appears to me to be different than most other areas of the coin, which have the nice fine texture bumps. I am wondering if the texture of the surface of the coin actually appears like this, worn or smudged and indicative of wear/ handling, or is possibly some mild aberrations in the photo due to some minor scuffing, glue, scum, etc on the slab?

upload_2020-2-10_13-57-53.png

Many/ most areas of the coins appear to be Mint State, but a few areas like this are giving me pause.

6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

PCGS TruView photos are taken while the coin is raw, before it is put into the slab. That's one of the advantages they have.

Paul M. and geekpryde like this.
  8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Ahh, thanks for the reminder. Thats helps me in my detective work on this coin.

9. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

I chose 66 rd because of the light scratches and I'm new to grading.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

MS-64 RD. Great luster, as most early Lincoln cents have, but it is rather baggy on both the obverse and reverse. I see no reason that this would not get a RD designation

CircCam likes this.
  11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I’m at 64 as well. Luster looks great but there appear to be some surface issues and scattered marks.

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think this area is from a weak strike and is leftover planchet chatter. This area into the O in ONE and the E. P in E Pluribus is opposite from Lincoln's shoulder and often is weakly struck and planchet chatter can be evident. I went MS 65RD.

13. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

65R. Too many marks for 66.

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I'm at MS65 RD on this one. I'm hoping that the supersized photos are making all the barely noticeable hits at lower magnification look worse than they really are. The overall attractiveness is off the charts and the red color seems almost a given. I think the spot to the left of the date and the discoloration on the rim above the S in PLURIBUS are the biggest distractions.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Quite a bit of marks 64 red

19. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

65RD. Luster, color, and strike are great, as they should be on a 1919. Lots of little marks on the shoulder typical for 65, as are a couple light ones on the face, and some larger ones in the lower reverse fields. The spot left of the date doesn't bother me, as it is just toning, and not black.

Draft saved Draft deleted