The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 17, 2019.

?

What does the Morgan Grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also feel free to post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

In order to give everyone time to respond, I'll reveal the grade Monday evening

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 5 obv.jpg gtg5 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

A baggy 63 with no major marks and strong luster. I’d call it a high end 63

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was at 63 till I zoomed in. MS62 is my vote.

Murphy45p likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 63. Very nice luster, and would have graded higher, but for a lot of prominent bag marks in the obverse fields, and the cheek. Reverse is much cleaner, and would be a high 64 on reverse alone. Great luster—nice “blast white” eye appeal.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My initial impression of the obverse was MS62, but the reverse is significantly better so I’m bumping it up to a low end MS63

MS63 C

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Obverse - very baggy - 61/62
    Reverse -much better - 63/64
    MS63 on a good day.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

A baggy and marked up UNC coin (the tip of the nose also appears to have a significant hit).

I voted 62.
    I’ve seen some of these make it into 63 and 64 holders lately (especially with color), so those grades wouldn’t surprise me either.

Murphy45p likes this.
  11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I clicked on vote and it said You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. But then it looked like it took my vote.
    I was waffling between 62 and 63 and went 63.

13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That is what I did. I looked at the obverse as 62. The reverse is a nice 64. So, the coin split the difference at 63.

14. FrankHKP7

FrankHKP7 Active Member

61 obverse, 64 reverse. The bag marks on the obverse killed it for me. Since TPGs supposedly assign the lowest graded side on the holder, I'm at 61.

15. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

63, not quite ugly enough to call a 62

16. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I’ll likely have egg on my face. My gut was 63 at first and the more I looked at it I felt it a lightly circulated coin and therefore a 58.

17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

MS-61. I don't see any circulation wear but that is one baggy coin. The nose and the ear are pretty banged up. I suspect the actual grade is higher.

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

19. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

63. 80-O tends to have a lot of little contact marks and hairlines, and no big ones. This is no exception. No heavy marks on the prime focal area, but lots of light scuffs. Fields are scuffed, but not badly. Good luster, looks nice for an 80-O, but no better than 63.

21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I think PCGS graded this coin MS-64.

Draft saved Draft deleted