The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 28

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This coin is graded RD, so you don't need to guess the color.

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 28 obv.jpg gtg 28 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Eeks nice coin … I think this is a brush/hit mark or 2 from a 68
    I voted 67
    I like it

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Easy 66 rd

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

MS66 RD

I don't collect copper but I think this has to be a solid MS66, probably with a CAC sticker.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

MS66 all day long.

10. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Very nice coin, was thinking 64 or 65. Kindof curious

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

12. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I voted 65. I thought the marks would keep it from premium gem but if they are not as distracting in hand with the luster booming like it seems a 66 wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I can’t tell if the marks in front of the face are spots or not. If they are, easy 65 RD. If not, 64 RD

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The area to the left of the face holds it to 65 in my opinion

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

64 ....it looks scoffed on the obverse left field (as well as on the nose) and the reverse has quite a few hits as well...it's possible this is in a higher holder, but I'd say the eye appeal would just not be there for a 66 or higher

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think, even with the marks it made 65. Nice coin. Jim

17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Really nice 65. Luster is great, surfaces quite clean, except for some small hits in prime focal areas (nose, cheekbone, central reverse) that are too numerous for the coin to grade 66. Fields are free of scuffs, but the stuff in the left obverse field is a little distracting. If any of these marks were black spots, I'd say 64. Lose the hits on the nose and the N, and I'd say 66.

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Based on what I can see on my phone I'll go with MS 65. Don't know what that is on the nose and the hit on the cheek plus scuff Mark's keep it from going higher.

19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Nice 64. I don't look at IHC's much, I'm probably going conservative.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  20. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

I didn't see numerous things as I tried not to explode the picture as it is very deceiving at that size but I find after exploding the coin. Hits / Marks on obverse
    Nose / Cheek / "0" on the date both of them - Reverse I see mark on the "N" and chatter above it. So its more than just brush marks
    Unfortunately I am changing my vote to a 65 RED - Nice red Color though.

21. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I went 66.
    Either a low end 66, or a high end 65. IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted