The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 27

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 15, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 27 obv - Copy.jpg
    gtg 27 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Looks like a very nice and clean 1923 Peace. Beautiful coin. I'm going to say MS-66.

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I almost went 65, but I think the scratches are very faint, otherwise extremely nice coin.
    So I think it's a 66 with a green CAC bean to boot.
    Edit: not quite clean enough for a 67 IMO.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Despite several innocuous marks on the reverse, for which I’d ordinarily expect the coin to grade MS66 or less, the luster appears to be quite intense and the all-important obverse is incredibly clean. I’m at MS67.

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I can't see any major flaws. Nice clean coin both Obv & Rev. I would only give it an MS65 though because of minor blemishes. I'm not sure if the scratch on the cheek to the neck is on the coin or the slab.

Dave

7. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I guessed MS 67. The obverse looks almost ideal, and is free of nicks or dents, while the eagle on the reverse is riddled with them. I initially thought 66, but, the coin has good luster, and there don't appear to be any marks in the fields.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Clean as a whistle 66

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Obverse looks like a 66. Great luster as a 23 should have, super clean cheek, clean fields. The reverse has some heavier marks on it and holds the coin back, so I'm saying 65.

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There are many deep and distracting marks on the reverse. 66 obverse, 64 reverse. Net 65.

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

65. Doesn't look like a great strike to me from these pics.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Voted 67. Looks very nice for a peace dollar.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

66 ...the obverse looks cleaner than the reverse-which helps carry the grade in my opinion

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Obverse gorgeous. Quite a few reverse marks hold it to 66 as it should be. Cleaner on the eagle it’s a 67+

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Is that die crack on the base of the neck in a common place for Peace Dollars? I have a '22 with a crack in almost the same spot...

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That coin is incredibly clean and lustrous and a “no brainer” MS66.

19. dividebytube

dividebytube Active Member

I went with MS66 - clean, very few marks. Rare to see a Peace dollar this nice.

20. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yes. Most common place for a Peace dollar die to crack.

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted