The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 20

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 27, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alright, let's have a Holiday Blast! I'll be posting 3 of these today, to keep us busy over the holiday. I'll post the answer on Saturday. Let's see how well you do!

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 20 obv.jpg gtg 20 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

65...I was between 64 and 65 but went with the higher grade (partially based on the new holder)....there are some scattered hits, particularly around the numeral 5, but nothing too significant

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I was also torn between MS64 and MS65. I think the obverse is clear MS65, but the reverse is not the same quality and may even drop to MS63. Here is hoping the the obverse of a coin can carry the weight.

My grade: MS65

ddddd likes this.
  6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

66. Wonderful originality and luster. Surprisingly solid strike despite the failing dies. Minimal marks.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

64. The obverse looks nice, with good luster. A few ticks on the shield, but easily noticeable. Well struck shield, a few weak stars on the reverse. Luster on the reverse is kind of dead, though, and while there aren't any bad marks on it, there are a bunch of stray ticks all over.

9. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Cool die cracks. They seem to go around the entire obverse devices.

I went 64 on it.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m at 65. Few hits but none major killer luster and great die cracks. I think it’s a solid 65 all day

11. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

64 doesn’t seem there for 65

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It’s okay. Nothing stellar. Weakly-struck. Not quite gem. MS-64

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with 65.

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Went with 64. Just don't see it being enough for a 65. The marks it has are slightly distracting and I don't think it has the luster for a 65.

15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

nice, but enough contact to hold it at 65.

16. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

17. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

18. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

MS 64
    Edit: Late die state.

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

MS 65. It's a cracker's dream.

21. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

MS 65. Scuffing and spotting on the field of the obverse and wear on the device of the reverse. Good strikes and luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted