The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 19

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 27, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. MS-60

2. MS-61

3. MS-62

4. MS-63

5. MS-64

6. MS-65

7. MS-66

8. MS-67

9. MS-68

10. MS-69

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alright, let's have a Holiday Blast! I'll be posting 3 of these today, to keep us busy over the holiday. I'll post the answer on Saturday. Let's see how well you do! (This coin is designated FB - no points for the designation)

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 19 obv.jpg gtg 19 rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Clean. I went 67. I have a hard time with moderns

4. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

5. Greg Bayes

Greg Bayes Where's the loo?

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You have to vote in the poll for your guess to count!

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

67...clean, but a few things would keep it out of 68 (which it might have still received): the small spot on the obverse (where the cheek and neck connect) and the hits on the M of “Dime” on the reverse.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I don't see the same level of clean as you guys. The spot on the neck alone could be enough to drop it to MS66. Additionally, I see tiny little imperfections strewn throughout the coin including at the bottom of the torch above the lower bands, and the "N" and "M" in ONE DIME. To me, this coin is a widget, one of thousands of blast white premium gem 1962 Roosevelt Dimes and belongs in an MS66FB holder. In an MS67FB holder, IMO, it is dreck. If the coin had some level of toning both to distract away from the tiny marks and give the coin a measure of originality, then I could see giving it an MS67FB grade. Since it doesn't.....

My Grade: MS66FB

Dynoking likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

It’s quite possible and I would rather see it in a 66 holder vs a 67.
    One factor that also came into mind for me, would someone sell a 66FB on Heritage? That is a $20 coin and would not seem like Heritage material (unless it was sold as part of a bigger lot).

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

68. Luster booming, 2 tiny "flaws" with the milk spot on obverse and light reverse torch mark.

Dynoking likes this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

67FB, but not a strong 67. Obverse is really clean except for the spot, which may be removable. No smattering of ticks that would drop the grade. Reverse has a few marks that hold it back - torch and M of DIME stick out the most.

Dynoking likes this.
  13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have seen MS66FB Roosevelts in the weekly auctions before, but I suspect that you are right; it is likely in an MS67FB and that is the primary reason that I wrote a paragraph explaining why I think the coin should be in an MS66FB holder, I already know I'm going to be wrong.

Dynoking and ddddd like this.
  14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Meh. Seems just like a normal gem dime to me.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The number of marks looks 67, but there is absolutely nothing special about the coin to push it up to that level (luster, etc.)

MS-66 FT

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I went with 66.

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I would have personally thought it better in a 66 but I went 67 because the marks were few and I had the impression that it was really clean.

18. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

19. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

20. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

21. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted