The Official CoinTalk Grading Experiment 18

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 27, 2019.

?

What does the coin grade?

1. AU-58

2. MS-60

3. MS-61

4. MS-62

5. MS-63

6. MS-64

7. MS-65

8. MS-66

9. MS-67

10. MS-68

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alright, let's have a Holiday Blast! I'll be posting 3 of these today, to keep us busy over the holiday. I'll post the answer on Saturday. Let's see how well you do! (This coin is graded Red - no points for the designation)

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a continuous stream of Guess the Grade threads. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also please post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

gtg 18 obv.jpg gtg 18 rev.jpg

YoloBagels and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Before guessing, could you tell us if the lines on obverse above portrait, and on reverse are actually on the slab or not ???

4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

5. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

66 red. Couple small marks on the rim and a little other tiny ticks

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is not my coin and I have never seen it in hand. I suspect the lines you see on the reverse are on the slab, however.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

67 ...no major marks or disturbances and the coin looks relatively clean...the small spot on the reverse (around the 2 o’clock position) would be the only thing that worries me

9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

10. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

11. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Coin vary nice. My vote is ms67 RD Nice fields and there are few contact marks on the rims.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I can't imagine this coin in anything other than MS67RD.

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

66. Great luster, surfaces and strike. No spots. Scattered little ticks on the shoulder and light scrapes in the field, of which I'd want fewer for a 67.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Easy 67 CAC.

15. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I went 67 which was just my initial gut feeling of the coin without studying it too much.

Kasia likes this.
  16. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

What a beauty at least 66

17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Me too

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCGS wants really great luster for a 67. I voted 66.

Draft saved Draft deleted