The Official Coin Talk Grading Experiment 3

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 9, 2019.

?

What does the quarter grade?

1. AU-55

2. AU-58

3. MS-60

4. MS-61

5. MS-62

6. MS-63

7. MS-64

8. MS-65

9. MS-66

10. MS-67

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

How good is CoinTalk compared to the TPGs? Let's find out! Over the next several months, I'll be posting a Guess the Grade thread each week. I will be using photos from the Heritage auction archives (please do not cheat!).

All you have to do is guess the grade! I will be attaching a poll to each thread. Please select the grade that you think best represents the coin (to avoid bias, please select your grade before viewing the rest of the thread).

Also feel free to post your opinions about the coin, and it would be most educational if you could explain why you chose the grade you did.

In order to give everyone time to respond, I'll reveal the grade Sunday evening

Around Christmas, I will tally up the results and see how we did. This thread is an offshoot of a recent thread where I compared CT grading to the TPG, seen here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-good-is-cointalk-at-grading.343417/

We're going to cover a wide range of material, and some of it may be out of your wheelhouse. However, if you are a confident grader, you should be able to accurately grade almost any coin.

Here are two different sets of pictures of the same coin, both offered by Heritage.

gtg 3 obv a.jpg gtg 3 rev a.jpg gtg 3 obv b.jpg GTG 3 rev b.jpg

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Hard to say cause I am not the best at grading..... but I would say this coin is MS-61 because of light blemishes on the coin. Very pretty coin.

Murphy45p likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Either I am buffaloed by beautiful seated coins..... Or this one should be an easy MS66. That's my vote.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have similar reservations about this coin as I did the Barber Half. The coin has been dipped which makes it look odd, and the Heritage photo makes evaluating the luster very difficult. In addition, the coin on the obverse looks like it’s been thumbed, but I guess that could be remnant toning not removed by the dip. I don’t see any friction in the fields so I’m grading it as a mint state coin. The surfaces are pretty baggy and the dip gives it an unnatural appearance so I’m going with MS62.

harrync and rrdenarius like this.
  6. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

It is a nice coin. My grade MS-64

7. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I went 63 without looking at other's posts and without the second set of pictures, which kind of makes it look more of a 64. I wish I could tell better when things have been dipped.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

MS 64 Scratches on the reverse and lack of luster keep it from grading higher.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

MS66. The coin looks solid MS65 to me, but because it was offered by Heritage, I think they submitted it more than once to max the coin out for its highest possible grade . . . there's no one better at that than Heritage.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Ugh. This one is hard. The coin seems kind of lifeless to me... I'm at MS61.

harrync likes this.
  11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

65, lovely coin and nice strike

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Initial impression: 65, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it actually at 64.

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

63 from me.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Damage on the obverse there are 10 areas where metal is missing. I guess they overlooked it. Light scratches on the reverse 5 areas of missing metal. Lack of luster from dipping when everyone wanted blast white coins. What are those 2 dull areas on the eagles left wing? And a third spot above the right claw/leg.
    MS 63. This coin is very close to details.

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I voted MS64, but the original skin it appears to have made me almost go 65. Yes, I know some will say it doesn't have an original skin, but that second set of pics looks like it to me. Light original toning... Too much chatter for a 65 IMO. But tougher date, especially in UNC.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

63. Nice strike, but too many nicks and dings to go much higher. Although 64 wouldn't surprise me. I think the coin has a lot more luster than the pics are revealing.

18. FrankHKP7

FrankHKP7 Active Member

Went w/ 58. Tough to tell what's happening on Liberty's breast and lower thigh. Looks like the slab is scuffed in those locations and since I can't check the luster I'm stuck at 58.

rrdenarius likes this.
  19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

I voted 62. I think it’s a technical 63 that was netted to 62 because of the lack of luster and dipped out look. If it grades 63 I definitely don’t think it’s solid for the grade.

Strike - 65 with the reverse being nicer.

Luster - 62 very flat and dipped out appearance

Eye Appeal - 64 prolly in hand but 63 with these gigantic photos showing every mark.

Contact Marks - 62 due to the many bag marks and nicks all over the coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

This is another one that I debated, but this time I went with my first impression of
    MS 62

It appears uncirculated, but has a variety of hits and dings throughout. The luster is difficult to judge again (my interpretation is that it's muted). The strike is good. The eye appeal is ok (nothing wows me about it; it's what I'd expect from an average unc Seated coin).

21. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

My immediate impression was 66, but the reverse marks combined with the average strike and luster brought me back to 65.

Draft saved Draft deleted