[CLOSED] The "It's About Time I Had Another Giveaway Because H8_modern is so Awesome" contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just an FYI:
    At the Expo they sold for $1.00 each, after it closed, the remainders sold for 35 cents each.

Also, it is believed that there were 103 proofs produced, but I have not been able to find what they sold for.

Thanks for a great thread, the Columbian Expo was one of my old time favorite collections. For reasons that shall remain private, I no longer have the collection.

But, at one time it was probably one of the top three or four collections in the country on Columbians.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They sold them for less than face value after the event?

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no, they were the Isabella quarters.

Not the half dollars.

At the Expo the half dollars also sold for $1.00, which is why so many more were sold than the quarters, since you got twice the face value for the same money.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Proofs! Oh, yeah! Someone here needs to go cherrypick that PR69 DCAM Izzie quarter, even if it costs their entire five bucks!

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Has anyone changed the kitty litter box?

7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Has anyone changed the kitty litter box?

8. lordmarcovan

You posted that question twice. Sounds to me like...

Oh!

Thanks for volunteering!

Here's the pooper-scooper. Sorry, no gloves, but here's a clothespin for your nose. (Sorry, but it's the old fashioned 1893 kind of clothespin - no spring- but you can make a doll out of it later.)

Now, don't mind the rainbow splatters. Cotton candy'll do that.

OK, I'll leave you now. Get to scoopin'!

And thanks again for "takin' one for the team".

MontCollector likes this.
  9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Don't know why it posted twice. I'll make little balls of "Miracle Grow" for houseplants. They should sell fast at the expo.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I didn't understand that I needed to post here.

I would takemy $5 and get at least one 1893-S Morgan dollar

MontCollector likes this.
  11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I decided to look at aluminum prices over time, in 1888 Al was about 5$ per pound, by 1893, after Hall developed his process, the price had dropped to below .80 per pound.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Could be done, maybe, if you met somebody who came to Chicago from out West. I'd say that's a totally plausible scenario and am rather surprised nobody else mentioned it before (unless I overlooked it).

And oh, boy, that San Francisco Sam you just met might've had a few more of those in his pocket!

In May of '93, we're talkin' fresh stuff, too!

Figure MS63 at worst. But oh... MS66? 67? Why not?

And... are any of 'em PL? DMPL?

Now, I'm not a Morganite, but thoughts of that do make my greedy little heart go pitter-patter a bit faster...

LaCointessa likes this.
  13. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Just to honor your fluffy little kitten.....
    I used my expertise in art to modify my license plate.

My Mountain Lion License Plate - cropped.JPG

LaCointessa and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

images-7.jpeg
    Sherman Today we set the way - back machine to 1893 we been given a quest to spend $5 then return to the present and collect our prize.
    Since every boy should have a dog why shouldn't every dog have a boy?
    To the way back.......
    So Sherman everyone else is playing this contest inside the box.....not us we are going to think out side the box.....
    Sherman have you ever heard of Tesla?
    You see Sherman Testla is going to speak on alerting current and electromechanical presentation.
    Now one needs to know that Testla and Edison are bitter rivals.
    Our plan spend a $1 to get into the event....Convince Testla that an all electric car would be the invention of the century . Give him the other $4 as investors and ask him for a written receipt . As his first investors we also ask for a hand written promise for an 2017 Tesla model 3

7637.jpg

Hop back in the way - back set the dial for 2017 Testla show room pick our keys up. And live like kings off our $4 investment dividends. The end....:pompous:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  15. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

I would try to purchase the love tokens shown above. I collect them because it amazes me how some people can create such beauty with their hands.

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  16. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

I would buy a Columbian Exposition match holder ($2) and probably keep the change for my collection!:happy:

LaCointessa likes this.
  17. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

In other news, while negotiating a combo deal on the bay I came across this in the sellers stash...
    IMG_0754.PNG
    It's everywhere! Or maybe I just need to expand my horizons more because this is only the second (the first being this contest) time I've seen one of these!

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Expand as I see these all the time at shows....you just got to check out the paper sellers.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  19. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Well I guess that makes sense then. I've only been seriously collecting coins since spring and notes the past month or so. I mean I felt like I've been exposed to a lot of different things on my walk but this niche of collecting has really opened my eyes to a side of history I hadn't been before. This thread alone sent me on a reading spree that gave me much. So that said thank you to @lordmarcovan and everyone that posted tidbits in here! It's definitely been the most informative contest/drawing I've entered!

LaCointessa and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

Yes, these Columbian Expo tickets were sort of a new thing to me, too, as despite 40 years of collecting, I've spent very little of that time with any kind of paper money or ephemera. When visiting @Aethelred in North Carolina, I've seen some of his small collection of Columbian Expo material.

He had that ticket in the OP up on eBay, and I was "courtesy bidding" (not shilling) on some of his auctions, so I threw out a bid on that. It ended without any competition for me, so I won and bought it. Didn't know what I'd do with it, of course, until the idea for this giveaway struck me. Now I'm glad I bought it just to give away, because all this discussion has been just as educational for me as it has for anyone else.

The love tokens in the OP were also an eBay impulse buy, though one about which I'm a little more informed, being a member of the Love Token Society. I know nice love tokens when I see 'em, and though those two pieces don't fit my current collection, I bought 'em 'cause they were nice examples at a nice price.

Extra chance in the drawing for @moneycostingmemoney, unless I threw one at him earlier.

Inspired by @Orfew's generous giveaway on the Ancient Coin forum, and @H8_modern's original giveaway that inspired this one, I'm also gonna sweeten the pot in this drawing and add at least one more prize. I'm still thinking on what that will be. I think it will be the 1873 Portuguese coin which was actually the most valuable piece in the loot I won from H8_modern. That's something that plausibly could've been around at the Columbian Exposition.

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If allowed a second entry, I would take my change from buying 1893-S Morgans and look for 1877 Indian Head Cents, as well as 1878 Shield Nickels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.