The Ancient Olympics

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Nov 29, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed the Olympics and it was only once I started collecting ancient coins that I learned about the ancient games and their coins. Many ancient coins depict historic events and rulers but there's something special about coins from the Olympics, especially circulated examples. Knowing that this coin was spent and used by people specifically during the ancient Olympics really lets the imagination run wild.

[​IMG]

One of the few ancient traditions to survive until the modern world is the Olympics. Occurring in the same four-year cycle today as in antiquity, they mark a time when differences are put aside and the world’s attention focuses on athletic competition between nations.

The name “Olympics” originates from where they were played. Olympia was a sanctuary of ancient Greece near the city of Elis, a fertile country in the northwest of the Peloponnese. It featured temples, sporting grounds, and accommodations for the athletes. The inhabitants of Elis were responsible for organizing the games every four years. The stadium at Olympia seated no less than forty-five thousand, and the publicity for the winners was immense.

These games were some of the most significant events of antiquity, even causing wars to be suspended for their duration. The classical Olympics date back to at least 776 BC and were played until 394 AD when emperor Theodosius I abolished them, considering them to be too reminiscent of paganism. The modern games that began in Athens in 1896 featured 43 different events, steadily increasing to nearly 400 events today.

The ancient Olympics represented much more than just sporting events. They were a lucrative business and provided a political and cultural forum, offering a range of activities during the games. The athletes, their trainers, and the spectators needed to be housed, fed, and supplied with souvenirs. The games brought thousands of citizens together from all parts of the Greek world to visit the vast market and fairs, watch performances, and attend concerts.

From the 5th to the 3rd century BC, a magnificent series of special silver coins were minted from the festival center for each iteration of the Olympic Games, with new designs produced every four years.

The coinage for the games served several purposes. No foreign money was accepted in Elis during the games, and the mandatory exchange offered means of funding the games and for the upkeep of the sanctuary at Olympia. A common currency also made commerce easier as the native currencies of the various visitors were often based on different weight standards.

The most talented artists were commissioned to engrave the dies for these coins, showing off the artistry of Greece and resulting in the beautiful coins being treated as prestigious objects. While their primary use was for normal commerce during the games (paying for food, lodging, and entry to see the spectacles), they became popular souvenirs for visitors who wanted to bring a part of the games home with them.

These coins celebrated the god Zeus and his wife Hera, who presided over Olympia and the games themselves. The Olympic coinage is represented by a small range of imagery, focusing heavily on Zeus and his eagle, sometimes featuring snakes, thunderbolts, Ionic column capitals, or Nike, representing victory at the games.

Zeus’ portrait was used on some coins, modeled after the Statue of Zeus, which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It was also sufficient to use just an eagle or thunderbolt to refer to the god, as Zeus’ symbols were well known.

Eagles have always been a symbol for power, force, and guardianship because of their size, strong claws, and penetrating eyes. They were considered the kings of the air and certainly a fitting animal for Zeus, who presided over the sky and thunder.

The eagle on the obverse of this coin is acclaimed as the finest and most detailed representation of the head of an animal on any Greek coin. Magnificent in its composition and depicted with a great sense of naturalism, its elegance is in its simplicity, showing the strength of Zeus in the eagle’s forceful expression.

Below the eagle’s head is a leaf from the white-poplar tree brought from the northern lands to plant at Olympia. The white-poplar was sacred to the mythological hero Hercules, and he was crowned with one of its branches as a token of his victory after destroying the Cacus, a fire-breathing giant.

The reverse depicts a thunderbolt, in the usual stylized Greek fashion. While unsigned, it is understood that the die was engraved by the artist “Da” who signed the preceding, nearly identical die.

The coin is worn but appealing, showing clear evidence of its circulation at the Olympics. One can only imagine the wares purchased and sights seen by the spectators who spent it while in attendance at the 93rd Olympiad, more than 2,400 years ago.

Elis, Olympia, 408 BC. Zeus mint. Struck for the 93rd Olympaid. Silver Stater (11.74g). Head of eagle with piercing eye left; under its beak, a large leaf of white-poplar. Reverse: Winged thunderbolt, olive sprigs to right and left; all within olive-leaf border. Seltman 150; Traite pl. 231, 1 (these dies) . Kraay-Himer pl. 157, 500 (this obverse die) ; Gulbenkian 541 (this obverse die) ; Weber 4038. One of the masterpieces of Greek coinage and the most realistic close-up of an animal depicted on any Greek coin. Lightly toned and of good metal. Very Fine.

Post your coins from the Olympics, ancient or modern!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Incredible coin. Nice informative write up as well. Thanks

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really love the eagle on it. Surprised there hasnt been one like that on u.s. coinage. Talk about a "don't f**k with me' look!

Enjoyable write up too.

Okidoki likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's definitely the most realistic eagle head on ancient coins.

As for the ancient Olympic Games compared to modern... it sounds like things haven't changed all that much :D

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have a tiny AR Hemiobol from Aeolis, Kyme with an eagle head which may have tried to imitate the eagle head on your new coin. They fell shy I believe, but it's still a nice coin.
    AEOLIS, KYME.jpg

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin! Congratulations!

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another great coin and write up AJ.

that eagle reminds me of a certain american ealge..

i think one of those guys is swedish. :shifty:

stevex6, TIF and randygeki like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yup, that's certainly a pretty sweet eagle ... congrats on another home-run!!

... plus, 12 grams is a nice sized hunk of silver (very cool)

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

These are beautiful and historically fascinating coins. Are many of the issues ascribed to specific Olympiads with any great degree of certainty?

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ummm, I'm pretty sure that I don't have any Olympic coin examples (I need to buy more coins!) ...

... oh, but I do have this self-acclaimed "smallest" eagle head on an ancient coin? (a wee lil' 5 mm x 8 mm canvas)

Ionia Ephesos Tetartemorion b.jpg

chrsmat71, Okidoki, Bing and 2 others like this.
  12. zumbly

If AJ has the most realistic eagle head, and Steve the smallest, mine from Sinope in Paphlagonia may be the weirdest...

image.jpg

chrsmat71, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yeah, they're just making that up. I think it's a paramecium :D

zumbly likes this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I dont own anything on the AJ level, but I always loved coins and wrestling.

Pamphylia, Aspendos c. BC 370-330
    Ar Stater 10.05g
    o: Two Greco wrestlers nude arm control.
    r: Slinger / Trisklion (perpetual legs) device

AspendosWrestlers.jpg

zumbly, stevex6, TIF and 2 others like this.
  15. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Very Nice again, thx

16. zumbly

Thanks, TIF, now it's time to get those numismatic references corrected.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks! Some of the attributions are less precise than others but there is a fairly well established sequence of types laid out by Seltmann's book "The Temple Coins of Olympia", although there have been refinements since its publication in the late 1800s.

18. zumbly

Thanks, I am officially on the hunt :).

Draft saved Draft deleted