Staatliche museum Berlin – Bode Museum ancient coin collection LOTS OF GREEK COIN PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

225.JPG
    I’m in Germany & had had the gift of a free day Friday. After breakfast I hit the road for Berlin and made it to the downtown mall. The Bode museum claims to have an awesome Ancient coin collection & it did not disappoint! Here is a link & photo from their website:
    http://ww2.smb.museum/ikmk/index.php
    Bode Cabinets.jpg
    226.JPG
    The ancient coin collection of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin is one of the largest Numismatic Collections in the world. The Bode museum is the building that houses the numismatic library & ancient coin cabinet. Right next door is the Pergamon museum with its Babylonian treasures but there was much construction & I limited my explorations to only the Bode museum. This is the Bode:
    277.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

273.JPG
    The Bode has 4 or 5 rooms for public coin displays. This one room had a big bulky modern Canadian gold coin. Although the signage didn’t actually state it, I believe it is on loan to the Staatliche from the stevex6 collection.
    276.JPG
    There was also some modern gold on display that would entertain most collectors of UK material.
    274.JPG
    That’s enough modern material. Time to explore the older items:
    271.JPG
    All the coins are displayed so that you can get your face right up close & photos are permitted. All the pictures in this thread were taken with my phone using the museum’s ambient lighting.
    In most cases, you can only see one side of the coin. This Sicily coin probably has a nice rabbit on the other side but we can only imagine what it looks like.
    262.JPG

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Pavlov may have been on to something. Some of the Bode’s displays made me drool.
    270.JPG
    245a.jpg
    255.JPG
    232.JPG
    252.JPG

stevex6, Ancientnoob, Cyrrhus and 7 others like this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There were more Roman era coins on display than Greek. Sorry folks, I limited my photos to mostly the Greek stuff. I saw some Indian & Asian items that would make AN’s heart skip a beat. There was one entire section dedicated to “cultures outside of the Roman” at least I think that is what the German language sign stated.

There were several walls dedicated to coins from different centuries from ancient times to modern times. If you can think of a civilization or a century, the Bode had a display of those coins. Of course, there were oodles of German coins. Sorry folks, I didn’t invest any pixels on all those walls of coins. You will have to visit for yourself sometime. :)

There was a wonderful display describing ancient coin denominations. The gold coins in the top row went from stater to 1/48 stater. I believe that these coins of Corinth were part of the denomination display boards.
    248.JPG
    249.JPG
    250.JPG
    More from the denominations display:
    254.JPG

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are some of my favorite Greeks that were on display:
    240.JPG
    241.JPG
    242.JPG
    246.JPG
    253.JPG

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

...and a few more Greeks:
    264.JPG
    265.JPG
    266.JPG
    268.JPG

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These Becker counterfeit dies were on display:
    Becker Dies.JPG
    Coins of the United States were represented:
    247.JPG

I believe this lot was called "The Babylon hoard of Greek coins":
    251.JPG
    Please post some of your museum coins & museum experiences people.
    229.JPG
    230.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It's like the Energizer Bunny. It keeps going & going & going....
    237.JPG
    239.JPG

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There were plenty of other interesting displays at the Bode. This display describes one technique of making bronze statues. Pretty cool eh?
    260.JPG
    This one may remind you of someone in our ancient forum.
    259.JPG
    One more thing. Here is the cold beer at the end of the day:
    279.JPG
    I’ve got limited access to Internet so I may not be back to this thread for a while. Thanks for letting me share.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Would it even be possible to just select just one coin for yourself? Wonderful coins and pics. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and that beer looks yummy.

dlhill132 and ancientcoinguru like this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The Canada gold coin and a hacksaw?

micbraun, ancientcoinguru and TIF like this.
  15. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Excellent pics.

Are all of those drawers stuffed full o' ancients?!

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Man, that's what I call a coin collection. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Fantastic array of coins and photos Collect 89!!!

Well, now I know where the phrase 'museum quality' comes from....

You must have had a great time and I would have been forced to bring several tissues or handkerchiefs with me---the drooling would have been relentless... LOL

ancientcoinguru and Orfew like this.
  18. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very first greek coin with the dolphin almost looks like a fake coin. Surely I am wrong.

Great pics though. Would have liked to have seen roman too ;D

20. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I doubt I will ever get to Berlin to see the Bode Museum, so I really appreciate the virtual visit provided by your photos -- Thanks!!

21. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Time to go in my car and take a look in the night, pjefffff what a coins....we poor normal collectors, Yes Germans took a lot of ancient stuff in the past to their lands.....

Draft saved Draft deleted