Souvenir cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

I wanted to share a small collection of 'Souvenir Cards' that I have put together for my study and interests in security engraving and US Paper Currency. These cards average about 8" x 10" each and are printed on a heavy smooth archival paper stock. I did not attend all of these past shows but have found an affordable way to acquire prints made from the original master dies of these fantastic notes, which would otherwise be beyond the average collectors budget and opportunity to own.

There are many other Souvenir Cards out there and they continue to be produced. Check the BEP Store: moneyfactory.gov for the current prints being offered, 2010 Intaglio Print Subscription Program

Do you have Souvenir Cards? Feel free to post them!

ANA - Souvenir Cards:

1896 $1 Silver Certificate - History Instructing Youth, ANA 1971

[​IMG]

1899 $5 Silver Certificate - Onepapa, ANA 1977

[​IMG]

1896 $5 Silver Certificate Reverse: Grant & Sheridan portraits, ANA 1980

[​IMG]

1886 $5 Silver Certificate - Morgan Dollar, ANA 1981

[​IMG]

International Paper Money Show - Souvenir Cards:

1863 $10 National Bank Note DeSoto Discovering the Mississippi River, IPMS 1978

[​IMG]

1901 $10 US Note - Bison, IPMS 1980

[​IMG]

1905 $20 Gold Certificate - Technicolor, IPMS 1981

[​IMG]

1901 $10 US Note - Progress, ANA 1986

[​IMG]

1971-1981 Currency Club of Chester County, PA, 10th Anniversary

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Never come across these before (I dont think so anyway LOL) they realy are quite lovely :bow: Thanks for posting them.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very nice Chris!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

5. connor1

connor1 Collector

I use to collect these sou verier card from the BEP & The ABNCo, you can buy nice albums that hold these cards in clear plastic sleeves.A good book on them with the SO & BEP Cards is Mellone's Photo Encyclopedia of Souvenir Cards by Howard C. Tiffner it includes Private Printers,BEP ,ABNCo US Postal Service & United Nations Postal Service with the reference # of every souvenir card .Each card # has a brief explanation of the vignette.A great way of getting a vignettes from the original dies without spending a fortune.This is the vignette on the cover in lithograph (green).The image I'm showing is the actual intaglio blue hand pulled #B117. ANA 1988 Spider pressed.
    [​IMG]

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Bob! I love that one. And thanks for the heads up on the book and those albums for collecting these cards. :)

7. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I've always admired these and wanted some but they are a bit pricy for my taste, still, I would buy some if lower in price - they seem to be availible after market also but many increase in value then.
    I agree they are beautiful and historic.
    A professional framed set of your favorites would be stunning!

8. Art

Art Numismatist?

The Souvenir Cards are a wonderful way to enjoy some beautiful notes from the past. I have a few but have never really "collected" them. That might have to change. I'll see if I can get an image or two posted.

Connor1 thanks for the book reference. Just this week I have been searching for a catalog or website on the Cards.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

The Souvenir Cards are easy to find on eBay, prices usually range from 9.99 - $21-ish each.

10. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Ken Barr is a fantastic resource only thing is they have too few photos of their stock online. The prices he quotes for some items are pretty steep too.

12. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

Agreed Krispy, but he does have some regional and hard to find issues.

13. kathynumismatis

kathynumismatis Heritage Auctions

There is a Souvenir Card Collectors Society and they have at least one reference on the subject that they sell as well. They hold meetings at some of the major national conventions. They have a quarterly Journal, an auction, information on upcoming souvenir card issues, etc. If the information I have is current, membership is $25 per year for US residents and $35 internationally. Checks should be made payable to SCCS, P. O. Box 4155, Tulsa, OK 74159-0155.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Kathy. Nice to know. Any website for this group?

15. kathynumismatis

kathynumismatis Heritage Auctions

There is not a website that I'm aware of.

16. Art

Art Numismatist?

I got the SCCS info and have sent for a sample Journal. I'll do a mini-review when I get it.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Super nice Bob :thumb:

Dean 295 likes this.
  18. krispy

krispy krispy

A few more scanned in, to share with the thread... Just love these reproductions from the actual master dies:

ANA - Souvenir Cards:

1896 $2 Silver Certificate
    - Obverse, ANA 1972

[​IMG]

1896 $1 Silver Certificate -
    Reverse, ANA 1975

[​IMG]

1896 $2 Silver Certificate - Reverse, ANA 1976

[​IMG]

19. connor1

connor1 Collector

Really nice examples of the original notes ,from the BEP dies.I almost have all except from 2000 on up when I stooped collecting ,but now I'm thinking of getting back into collecting them again with the prices of US Notes,I also have the quite a few of ABNCO set of Souvenir cards.Keep looking on ebay for good prices on them.

20. connor1

connor1 Collector

$2 White Mountain Note (ABNCO)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Santa Claus Vignette
    [​IMG]

Chris B and Dean 295 like this.
  21. Art

Art Numismatist?

Very nice cards. I enjoy these. There are quite a few on ebay and the prices seem reasonable (mostly).

Draft saved Draft deleted