Small treasure for a novice

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by quechla, Sep 13, 2002.

1. quechla

quechla New Member

I don't even know if I am even a novice. I started hunting in my tub full of change and found something cool. It is a 1941 dime. Everyone on ebay refers to these being Mercury dimes, and I don't know why. One of the edges is a bit messed up, so I don't know if it is just worth 10 cents. :) Also, is there a FAQ or a list of stuff (besides the odvious that just looks different) that I should be looking for? I saw some conversation that was talking about the silver coins. I am guessing that the silver coins were stopped in 1965, because I found a ton of 1965 +
    quarters. Thanks a lot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Byron L Reed

Byron L Reed Junior Member

The dime you found is popularly called a Mercury Dime because the winged head on the obverse (front) reminds people of Mercury, the Roman god of commerce and astronomy. I don't know why since Mercury's wings were on his sandals.

Anyway, the head is actually that of Miss Liberty, the same as almost all US coins through the early 20th century, in a classical arrangement.

The coin is worth more than face value, depending upon the value of the silver metal. You are correct that silver dimes and quarters lost their silver content in 1965.

4. flacoins

flacoins New Member

The Redbook lists this coin at .70 in fine condition. You might not have found a treasure monetarily, but you have discovered what can bring you a lifetime of pleasure. Coin Collecting!

5. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

quechla welcome to the forum. It may not be worth much $wise but it always feels great to pull some silver :D

6. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

welcome to the forum. you have a mercury dime. Nice coin.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Good grief! This thread is over 6 years old!! Was there any good reason to dredge this one up?

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Dude, this thread is 6 years old.

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Welcome to the forum Hobo. I see you have only been here for like 11 months or so.

I have a question for you. I found a "penny" after work the other day in the parking lot and it looked like it may have been run over by a car. No pics yet but what do you think? Is it possible?

10. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

September 2002, I had just started freshman year of high school! lol

11. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

lol:thumb::mouth::smile

stainless

12. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Is there something wrong with bringing up an older thread?

13. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Nothing wrong with it, but the original poster hasn't been around in years. As a matter of fact, this was his only post. if he had been around this long he has probably figured out he has a mercury dime.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

what dime?

Ruben

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Do you read all thread from the middle down?

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

17. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

18. geekpryde

19. geekpryde

20. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted