Skyline

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Farstaff, May 16, 2006.

1. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Has anyone brought from "Skyline" who advertises in Coin World? If so, good or bad experience?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dgoose50

dgoose50 New Member

My nephew has bought from Skyline Coins with no problems,as yet!

4. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Skyline Coins, Paul Sims, John Paul Sarosi, Coast to Coast Coins, and The Coin Depot all sell dipped, re-engraved, whizzed, and cleaned XF-AU coins as "Premium Quality Brilliant Uncirculated." If there weren't newbies to be ripped off, these losers would be out of business.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Charlie

PS. On a positive note, the Shop at Home TV network that hosted "The Coin Vault" is going out of business.:thumb:

5. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

How is that positive? I had so many laughs from those clowns at Coin Vault.

By the way, wasn't the guy who stabbed himself with a cheap sword a Coin Vault host?

6. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Are you serious? I bought 4 silver quarters from Paul Sims a year or two ago and they are cleaned? :confused:

7. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

If you can post pictures of them, we might be able to tell you if they were cleaned or not. 99% of what Paul Sims sells is dipped out junk.

Charlie

8. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

9. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Nick, Unfortunately those quarters you posted are dipped XF-AU's. You can tell because they have wear on the high points, and have no mint luster left.

Charlie

10. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Exactly what I thought. I knew the luster was gone from these when I got them. I should have sent them back upon receiving them. You live and learn. :headbang:

Oh, and Charlie, thanks for the warning about these companies. I know my dad has bought coins from them too. You should be able to tell by feeling these coins too. They have a wierd texture to them if they have been dipped, I know that because I've done it myself. Thanks again!

11. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Nick,

Unless those coins have some original luster that isn't showing in your pics I would agree that they are XF/AU dipped coins. I have a half that looks just like that that is a result of being lightly circulated and then dipped.

12. The_Cave_Troll

one thing you could look for is a dealer who is a member of the PNG. The entry requirements are pretty high and they do a decent job of policing their own.

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

It's not just Coin vault

The entire Shop At Home TV Network will be taken off the air June 22,not just Coin Vault.
    Here is the story.:hammer:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2006/05/15/daily10.html

14. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

I was only wondering and waiting when they were going to take them off the air.
    Thank goodness, those prices are/ were ridiculously high.

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Don't most of these companies advertise in Coin News, Numismatic News, or CoinAge ? Can I infer that these publications have no standards for advertisers ?

16. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

That is correct. Since they are making lots of $$$ off of these advertisers, they don't really care that the advertisers are cheating people.

Charlie

17. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG]

18. The_Cave_Troll

The standard is "Do they pay their bill?" If the answer is yes then the ad runs.

19. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I'm not criticizing them. These publications have a lot of advertisers, and I don't expect them to investigate each and every advertiser.

The best I think they could feasibly do is possibly implement a subscriber feedback scheme similar to eBay's.

Or maybe they could make random purchases and publicize the results of what was advertised versus what they received.

On the other hand, it's probably not necessary. There are forums such as this one to keep folks informed. Of course, that's a less methodical approach. All it takes is one advertiser making one bad sale to one very vocal buyer, and that buyer might scare off a large number of potential buyers with a neverending tirade against the seller. I don't think we would see that here much, but on some web sites where users collect universally. ;)

20. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

I still feel like they stole my money. I thought I was getting genuine BU coins, not cleaned damaged coins. I feel like I got screwed and there is nothing I can do about it. It makes me sick.

All I can say is thanks for the warning about these guys, it will save me from buying any more from them.

21. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Most advanced collectors don't buy from those mail order companies that advertise in publications. Unfortunately many collectors never advance beyond that level. Real collectors attend shows regularly, usually belong to clubs, and are familiar with nearby shops. Most mail order customers fall into the "armchair collector" category. Although to be fair we must remember that many rural areas don't have shops or shows so mail order and/or internet purchases are the only way to acquire coins. It's just a shame that people are duped into overpaying for coins, whether through the mail or not.
    Nick

Draft saved Draft deleted