Silver Proof Set Mintages vs Market Value (1999-2013)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Phil Ham, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Barry (Mister B.)

Barry (Mister B.) New Member

Are rolled , uncirculated coins , typically worth much , i understan that different coins demand different prices , but for a beginner collector , is that a good place to start

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Save a roll here and there. Uncirculated roll coins will be worth the 100 year wait to open

Barry (Mister B.) likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Think my ma saved some 70’s

Barry (Mister B.) likes this.
  5. Barry (Mister B.)

Barry (Mister B.) New Member

100 year wait ? I dont have that much time

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

There’s your answer

7. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Phil Ham : Thanks for the update.

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As 2021 ends, I thought it time for another update of the silver proof sets (value vs mintage) from 1992 to present. Many of the silver sets from 2000-2008 are selling for a little over intrinsic value. The 2020 set will probably be the low ebb on mintage with the 2021 sales probably over taking it in early 2021. The 2012 and 2020 sets are selling well above the original price from the. The mint's increase in price in 2021 of the silver proof set was not well received considering the reduction in silver in the set from 5 to 2 quarters coupled with the $42 price increase. A table and chart for your viewing pleasure:

upload_2021-12-27_13-42-15.png

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As 2022 ends, I thought it time for another update of the silver proof sets (value vs mintage) from 1992 to present. Many of the silver sets from 2000-2008 are selling for a little over intrinsic value. The 2020 set will probably be the low ebb on mintage with the 2021 sales probably over taking it in 2022. It should be noted that the set included only 2 silver quarters with an increased price. The 2012 set is selling well above the original price from the. A table and chart for your viewing pleasure:

upload_2023-1-1_15-13-23.png

10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Here is my 2023 silver proof set.

2023 Silver Proof Set (Obverse).jpg 2023 Silver Proof Set (Reverse).jpg

halvessearcher, green18 and CoinCorgi like this.
  11. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

I have purchased one of each of these from their inception in 1992 through 2023. The ones from 1992-1998 are in the prestige packaging, the nicest packaging the mint has come up with for these. I purchase one to have one for my collection, along with the clad proof sets and innovation dollar proof sets. Thank you for keeping this thread's statistics up to date.

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Is there any premium above the values in your table for the "Premium Silver Proof" sets (the sets with a fancier box?)?

I was gifted a 1998 Premier Silver Proof Set as well as the plain ol' Silver Proof Set.

US Silver Proof Set 1992, 1994-1998.jpg

From the 2015 Red Book it appears there is no premium for the Premier Set...
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 155324.png

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    LakeEffect likes this.
  13. Cheech9712

Check them out now @Phil Ham

14. Cheech9712

Should have bought silver set. I feel ya. I bought a basketball coin from the mint. Got the cheapest one they had. Just had to have one and I ain’t going to get one roll hunting We all do it

15. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Same coins in the same lens, so no premium (I guess) unless somebody values the padded clamshell case.

I suppose it's correct to view total mintage numbers from 1992-98 as the sum of the two issues, since they're the same even though they're different.o_O

16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

My 2024 silver proof set.

2024 Silver Proof Set (Obverse).jpg 2024 Silver Proof Set (Reverse).jpg

green18, LakeEffect and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

When the program began I bought three sets of each (which I had been doing many years prior to 1999) as an heirloom to my three children. When the United States Mint dramatically increased the price from $63.25 in 2020 to $105 the following year I have dropped to a single set per year. Aside from cost, following the market trend over the course of the series gave me pause as to where they'd be, say, ten years from now. A look back to the silver sets of the '90's in the current market as compared to the original issue appears to be an indicator. Not long ago, I found several 2021 sets selling for at or slightly under the $105 issue on EBAY. So seeing these things it seems unreasonable to add the two as was the case in the past. And perhaps that's a win for my children if they wish to add the missing sets in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted