Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Figured I'd take a pic of what I'm taking to the bank where they don't like searchers dumping...

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VACookey

VACookey New Member

Searched 5 boxes of halves this week, 4 from our regular find bank and 1 from our regular skunk bank (my husband keeps asking why I get boxes there. I've been holding out hope that we'll find something good one of these days). Found 4 64s and 9 40%ers, and 2 jacked up proofs.

So then I go get the usual skunk box. The teller brings it out to me but told me the delivery guy dropped it and busted the end open. So "let me tape it up for you" She tapes the end then picks it up to hand it to me. The end busts open and all the rolls fall out. She taped the wrong end. Doh!

Anyway, I get my mutiliated box out to the car and as I'm driving home I see a busted roll hanging out. It's already open so I pick it up and there's a silver. Still driving, I pick up another busted roll. Another silver. Just sitting there. I don't even really have to look. So I pull over into a parking lot and look at the rest of the box. I start pulling silver here, 2 silvers there, and it keeps coming.

32 silver coins! 3 64s and 29 40%ers!

Best box of 2012! and THAT'S why I keep getting the skunk boxes. Eventually, it pans out.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:)There a lot of good pick-en in roll today!!!

5. VACookey

VACookey New Member

Oh Merc, why would you do that? What did they do to deserve it?

6. Merc Crazy

Ace can tell you. It didn't exactly go as planned. Dumped a bag into the machine, the manager comes running over, goes "Where did you get all this from?" and I tell him that I roll search, he goes into his "Coin Mining" spiel, I ask to talk to his boss, he gives me some BS excuse and we sit there and argue for 10 minutes in front of a few customers. I eventually take my bags back to my car, drive down the street, and cash in there, no problem. Called customer service, filed a formal complaint about him, (Customer service lady says, "Anybody should be able to use the penny arcade machines to cash in coin regardless of how they got it or why they have it.") and am expecting to hear back from the District Manager tomorrow.

Gonna go there sometime this week and pick up as many boxes of change as I can afford to, just to irritate them some more. The customer always wins, and that is something they need to learn.

7. fish968

fish968 New Member

ok so I've been half searching again , I went through 4 boxes all skunk on earlier this month! Did another 4 boxes on this last Thursday got 3 90%'s and 3 40%'s I was very happy about that considering the past recent boxes I searched. Then Friday I did another 4 boxes and got 1 62' Franklin and 3 40%'s. One box yesterday and pulled 1 40%.

8. VACookey

VACookey New Member

Oh yeah, I remember that. Basically, it's just a branch that doesn't feel like changing out the bags so they make up this "coin mining" BS so you won't come back. They deserve it. Carry on.

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Ohh man! They deserve that whoopin! Hope you make them a permanent dump bank!:devil:

10. Merc Crazy

They're a bit far away, I have three other TD banks within 8 minutes of my apartment, so... 20 minutes is kind of a hike.

That manager with that sh.t-eating grin really made me mad though, I will definitely be making special trips there to cash in.

2 boxes of dimes, 4 roosies and a '43.

Box of quarters, '64 and a '35. I knew I'd find one if I kept trying!

Got a box of nickels for a bit later too.

11. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

Merc - YOU ARE THE MAN! I OWE YOU LUNCH! LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES....Maybe I'll call the manager too. PM his info when he gets back to you!!!

12. Merc Crazy

Seriously, dude, screw that guy. Just run there, dump in a bag as fast as you can, they can't really charge you a fee because you have an account, and they can't STOP you from dumping it in there as long as you're fast about it. I'd pull the metal thing out, and just dump a bag in there, then start the counter. Sure, it'll **** them off, but hey, they deserve it for being such jerks about it.

It's not about getting your change done fast any more, now it's about teaching them a lesson and breaking their will to not let us dump there. I'll be dropping at least one bag off every chance I get, hopefully halves ($500+) every time, but if not, then full bags ($200) of nickels.

13. AceFranklin

AceFranklin Member

That guy was very smug that day he talked to me too. I'm convinced it was at the griping of the one female teller there who always gives me attitude. She was ****y cause she gave me the coin mining lecture once and I came back in a couple days later and dropped $1k in Halves on them. She paid me out in all twenties. It was a game of mental chess.

My issue is my time is too valuable to go in and debate with these clowns. If they were the only game in town, I'd take it up the food chain, but it's prolly not worth the trouble to get in and out on my lunch breaks. Time is too tight. However, I may go drop it on them on a Saturday when I'm not in a hurry.

14. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Box of:

Halves - skunk
    Dimes - 1 '63
    Nickels - 45P & 49S Keepers

15. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

I have not yet been educated! Will you please share with me what the "Coin Mining Lecture" is?? I can't seem to find your original post on this.

box 1 halves: 2 - 40%
    box 2 halves: skunk

16. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

Thank you for the link. I was looking in the past for a penny auction site the did bullion and had a buy it now feature. ends up being over priced if you don't win the auction but at least you can still walk away with something. I've never messed with those auctions where you could end up not getting anything if you don't win, but this way if I am going to buy an ounce anyway I am really only gambling the premium that they charge.

17. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

Philly on Friday
    I was able to hit up a bank (Citi Bank) next to the Reading Terminal real quick before my trade show on Friday and asked for halves. He had $5.00 worth and I scored a 1966 40%er.
    Went to BoA to use the ATM but they were jammed and did not have time to wait in line to ask for halves. Same at a couple other banks, just packed.
    Had some incredible Pork Ribs and Mac & Cheese at Reading Terminal, nice!
    HOTN

18. Merc Crazy

Here's the backstory, for anybody who wanted it.

19. MalakingAso

MalakingAso Member

My bank that usually has eight boxes of halves per week for me just informed me that they can no longer order halves. I guess they were told it cost to much and they need to stop for the time being. They were nice and very apologetic. There were several of us that used the bank so others will be affected.

I will be calling my credit union tomorrow to see what they can do. I have gone through them in the past with little success but they were more than happy to order for me. I'm hoping they can do four boxes per week. They are loomis and I haven't had a lot of luck with loomis. Brinks has been a lot better for me so we will see if times have changed.

20. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

I know this was probably answered somewhere in this thread but I can't find it so how much is a box of halves?

21. tacobelldog52

tacobelldog52 Member

YTD total

Searched $860 worth of halves

6-1964
    4-1965
    2-1966
    11-1967
    10-1968
    10-1969

Edited the post since I forgot I did another 400 around the 1st lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted