Question for Half Dollar Roll Searchers

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldcollector, Jul 25, 2007.

1. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

So I stopped checking quarter and dime rolls for 90% silver coins because I pretty much never find any anymore. But I still seem to be finding a fair amount of clad 1965-1969 halfs in rolls. What are you finding on average when you get rolls ? Is 1 clad per roll average about right, and I am saying 1 90% Silver half about every 10 rolls. Is that about correct on what you find when you do this in bulk or am I way off ?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AvgCollector

AvgCollector New Member

Ehh... It varies I believe. I just got another box today only opened 8 rolls and found 2 Franklins. Last box was amazing. Found I believe 18 90% coins and 22 clads. So I almost had 2 rolls of silver coins.

4. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

I'd say I get an average of 1 40% silver half for every 5 or so rolls, and 1 90% silver half for every 30 or so. Occasionally I'll find a nice cache and will find quite a bit more, but not often. ;)

5. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

I get about two 40% silvers in every roll.
    :)

I've never have gotten a Frankie, though.
    :(

6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

wow where are you getting those rolls, I haven't found anything in the last ten rolls of halves. Do you ask for the oldest most beat up rolls the banks have, or just what ever they have. Most banks around here only have at most a roll at a time.

7. AvgCollector

AvgCollector New Member

Well most banks dont have halves so you need to ask them to order a box. Some are hesistant about it though. It really depends.

8. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

30 rolls

4 forty percent coins from $300 worth yesterday.

9. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

My bank states that they have about 150 rolls on hand.
    I don't ask for anything specific.
    I assume I'm probly the only roll searcher in my whole town.
    The bank I go to is a pretty old bank and has changed hands several times.
    I imagine the stockpile has been sitting back there a while.
    The other banks in the area only have a roll or two on hand, at any given time.

10. Topher

Topher New Member

I just with that the banks here in Canada would get rolls of half dollars. They have all told me that they can't even order them at all, so I'm stuck with getting the odd coin every couple of months. All I want to do is put together a year set of the nickel and nickel-plated steel half dollars before I start working my way back through the silver ones. :(

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

How many rolls are there in a box?

12. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

50 i believe

13. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

$500 worth per box. Translated: 50 rolls. :)

14. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Now to get 500 bucks to buy a box....... Just spent a TON of money on a new guitar.

15. johndo

johndo New Member

Well now, I also believe it has alot to do with the area, (i.e.) cities vs. small towns. Last year I went back to a small town that I grew up in and bought $400.00 in rolled halves and found 39 silver halves, which I know is less than one per roll average, but several of the rolls didn't have silver one roll had 11 silvers in it and several others had 3-5 in them.

So the next time I am traveling through small towns with just one bank in them and they will sell their halves to me, I will buy them, it's been My experience that the older (70-80 and up) in the s. towns eventually get rid of their coins by rolling and selling to the bank.

Case and point- My Grandmother did the same thing with a few hundred $ face because she needed the money.

John

16. zerocd

zerocd Member

I just had a nice 3 boxes, not usual though. Generally average three silver something per box. Hit two mother loads out of 24 boxes.

Then the three today:

8- 64s
    16 Walkers
    10- Franklins
    30- 40%ers

hate to gloat.

needed this one.

Had a 5 box run with nothing recently.

0CD

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

4 boxes recently with only 2 40%ers a partial struck out of collar and about 4 no FG's.

18. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Last $600 in halves yielded zero silver and 1 73 or 74 S mint half.

Bruce

19. zerocd

zerocd Member

I just realized I got a 1916 Walker in that batch. Wish it was BU but it is VG at minimum. Oh boy, can't wait for the next batch.

I am pretty sure that my dump bank coins are not circling back. I can tell the coins I get from my main supply bank are from the same pile and I imagine that I am getting deeper into the stack to older coins that have not seen daylight in a long time. I have found that if I order 3-4 boxes at a time, that if I get a hot box, one or more of the other boxes will have silver too. I got all the silver from the last batch from two of the three boxes. Both had Walkers and Franklins. I found another chrome plated 1973 plus I was amazed to find two gold plated 1967 Kennedy's.

Previous recent finds of interest:

Halves that have been refinished, one has a pretty matte surface, nicely done.

I find clads that show mostly copper surface, maybe the surface was removed with acid.

Clad surface peeling.

Classic garbage disposal marks.

Drilled holes.

A 1916 English penny, my guide says they are worth a couple pounds so I guess i didn't get cheated.

One side of the half abraded until the face was gone.

Names, dates, letters and numbers inscribed on the coin.

Brilliant coins with proof or mint set luster that have deep sctatches.

Lots of fun.

Good luck to all!

0CD

I also have found three clad halves, either 92 or 94 that had double stamped obverse errors mostly visible on the front of the face.

20. commidaddy

commidaddy Senior Member

I know I've had no luck whatsoever...I searched $800 in halves just a couple days ago and came up with nothing. Very frustrating. I have multiple Kennedy sets and in my junk set I was just missing 1987 p and d and guess what? I didn't find them. The only thing I did find was a 71 with a drill hole through the top of Kennedys head.

Jarrid

21. maeon

maeon Member

You guys have me all revved up to go and order a box of halves.

I have been asking at every bank for rolls, and they give me 2 or 3 dollars in their drawer. Rather disappointing.

I'll see if I can order a box and see how that goes. I hope I at least get something out of the box. It sounds like you guys had some decent hits.

Draft saved Draft deleted