QE II Jubilee Coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by veryberry917, Nov 10, 2022.

1. veryberry917

veryberry917 Active Member

These are 2 coins in the vast collection I inherited, shown front and back, both coins are the same and now that Queen Elizabeth II has passed, do you all think these will go up in price or are they of any value? I don't know what they are and possibly Jubilee coins?
    Melt?
    Keep?
    Sell?
    Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The 25 year anniversary of the QEII monarchy is cupro-nickel. I have one, not much upside unless it is very high grade, I am afraid.

4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I have one too, mine has a lot more emotional value rather than collectible value. They sell for around $50 usually because they minted so many of these. One thing I must say, those plastic flips that the British mint put the coins in tend to turn the metal green. One of mine has a few spots of green and it has never been in any other holder, so these flips probably are not archival quality. I would recommend putting them in new PVC-free flips

veryberry917 likes this.
  5. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Sorry @toned_morgan, but these do not sell for anywhere near $50, they actually have a 'negative' value assigned to them owing to their bulk in the trade, and retail you would be lucky to get a few dollars for them. When I was a dealer in the UK, I used to actively dissuade people from selling the 1965 and 1977 Crowns to me, as they piled up, and I couldn't get rid of them. As you said though, they are more of a 'souvenir.' The silver proofs (which these are not) are a different story. Also, those are not RM flips, but rather Barclays Bank promotional holders, and yes, they contain PVC which will damage the coins - the mint dispatched these coins in cloth sacks, as they did virtually all their coins during this period.

@veryberry917 These are Cu-Ni circulation-issue QEII silver jubilee Crowns (25p coins post decimalization). No, these will not go up in value - the mintages were colossal, and they were virtually all 'put aside' as souvenirs, and as such, still saturate the market today. They also have no 'melt' value, as they are cupro-nickel. You can deposit them with some clearing banks in the UK, if you have an account, and usually with some argument, for 25p each.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I get lots of these when buying bulk collections, same with all the other crowns , Churchill, Charles & Diana.etc

I bag them up and take them to the Post Office bank and get face value for them, 25P each 4 x crowns = £1

If someone is willing to give me $50 each for them then I will divert them over the pond, $50 for one will pay the shipping for the others.:D

Here's the next bunch waiting to go.

upload_2022-11-11_10-30-37.jpeg

upload_2022-11-11_10-31-2.jpeg

7. veryberry917

@Razz Thank you, I had no idea what they were or how to research them. I appreciate the information.

8. veryberry917

@toned_morgan first step was getting a red book {:D} which has been ordered. Now for the PVC-free flips for those good coins you've been seeing so far. Thanks for the info on these.

toned_morgan likes this.
  9. veryberry917

@norantyki thank you for that information. I don't have a UK clearing bank or know anyone who does. Maybe I will just put them in protected flips and give them to someone who is a QE II fan rather than spend time worrying about the value. I appreciate your assistance here!

Kentucky likes this.
  10. veryberry917

@daveydempsey wow..... thank you. Yeah, I will protect them better and gift them to someone who would like them, it sounds like more hassle than it's worth over here across the pond. I appreciate the assist.

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You are welcome. Something to note is that the Red Book is for US coins only. You will need to get the Krause Mischler Catalog otherwise know as the KM catalog for World Coin information and prices. Numista is a website that you can use as well. Happy hunting!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    veryberry917 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted