Post your Under-Graded Slabs (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 15, 2017.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Step right up!! Step right up!!!
    Lets see those purchases, that made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!
    I am hoping this will be a great thread/learning tool for us......
    I wanna see some undergraded slabs, doesnt matter what grading company it is.
    Another qualifier: is a designation that SHOULD have been assigned- ie: Split Bands/ Full Steps/ Proof Like etc etc
    Even if you are on the fence, and not 100% certain - I still wanna see it !!
    So post away and lets see who has the best eagle eye, so to speak.
    Heres one of mine- IMAG1398_1.jpg IMAG1354_1.jpg IMAG1360_1.jpg For comparison purposes, this was THE very first 65PL that popped up on the 'bay when i searched➡ $_3.jpg $_3-1.jpg
    Ready? Begin !!!!

Two Dogs, Seattlite86, Skyman and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Remember Heavy that one must also consider the time period in which the coin was encased in a slab. As grading standards have changed over the years .
    That said posting them will definitely identity the difference in the standard of the coin being graded as opposed to the same coin being sent in today.
    I am off tomorrow and will dig out some specimens to post. Great idea for a thread.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Every coin I've ever owned is undergraded :smuggrin:

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

PCGS AU Details - Questionable Color

IMG_3736.JPG

Two Dogs, Skyman, Tater and 14 others like this.
  6. Paddy54

Not if it was in an old album that had sulfur based paper.
    That worries me as I just sent in a 32 toned bust half.
    Looks NT to me

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I love the idea for this thread. I can't wait to see some fantastic coins. :)

This is probably THE most under graded coin I have in my collection.

1942-S-Mercury-Dime-Obverse.jpg 1942-S-Mercury-Dime-Reverse.jpg 1942-S-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS-65FB-Slab-Front.jpg

8. Paddy54

9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Whoa, ok..I didn't realize they were using the FB designation as far back as OGH. I thought incorrectly that it was more recent.

heavycam.monstervam and Paul M. like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You may have been thinking of 2003 when PCGS added it for Roosevelt Dimes

11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

12. heavycam.monstervam

According to photo grade, thats atleast an AU50- AND its a CC to boot!
    I see a trend here so far, all are PCGS slabs

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Paddy54

The first specimen that I will post is this 1934 Maryland Commemorative . With a mintage of 25,015.
    Having been born and raised in Maryland I wanted one for my type set. I finally found one that had some nice luster. As many commemorative collectors have told me ,even with a relatively low mintage this tend to lack luster. Most are weak strikes and tend to have a battle ship grey skin tone.
    This specimen in an old rattler slab and also CAC sticker is way under graded. To my eye this is under graded by at least 1 full point and a possible 2. There are 3 hits on the obv. One over the right eye, another in the fields under the A in states,and another under the I in America .
    Yes granted this isn't a strong strike, however eye appeal as well as clean rev. fields makes me believe that I purchased a coin for at least $125.-150 under grade value. 20170216_080149.jpg 20170216_080315.jpg
    I do understand that the commemorative market is soft these days but truly believe that by today's standards this would at least be a 64 and just another reason I have no faith in a sticker placed on a coin graded what some 30+/- years ago to be true to its a signed grade.

14. Paddy54

1915 MS-63 Buffalo would you call this under graded? 1915 Buffalo Rev..jpg 1915 Buffalo.jpg 1915 Buffalo Obv..jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Dancing Fire, Skyman, Tater and 10 others like this.
  15. heavycam.monstervam

Uhhhhh, YEA !!!

wxcoin likes this.
  16. Mint Mark

Mint Mark Junior Member

What's "questionable"? It looks colored to me.

17. Mint Mark

Mint Mark Junior Member

Interesting thread. This is what has always bothered me about third-party grading and the value that is added to PCGS and NGC-graded coins solely because they've BEEN graded by PCGS or NGC. Granted, receiving certification (and, perhaps, more importantly, authentication) from experts adds value. But the extremely subjective nature of coin grading is precisely what leads to threads like this. And with many coins, there can be a tremendous change in value from one grading number to the next. This further adds to the uncertainty of said value.

Is it really a 64? Or is it a 64 solely because PCGS says that it is?

I'm old. I remember when we had G-VG-F-VF-EF-AU-BU. Ahhh, the good old days.

18. Paddy54

Maybe you misunderstood they are saying that the coin isn't natural toned that it has had help reaching the toning on its skin. I can tell you if this was at one time in an old album and most probably was....the tone has come from the sulfur in the paper of the album .
    Again a flip of the coin call.....or a TPG grader who don't know the difference .
    Worse yet one controlling the market as to nice eye appealing coins.

19. Mint Mark

Mint Mark Junior Member

Sorry, Paddy. I was being sarcastic. It was just PCGS's use of the word "questionable" that I found...well, questionable. Certainly no offense meant.

20. Paddy54

So if that's the case what do you think this will come back at? 1827 Bust Half 2.jpg

21. Paddy54

Here's one that came back as an MS 63 1883 Liberty Nickel.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted