Post your Empire of China Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by britannia40, Dec 3, 2015.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

we have many threats for british, Canada, and other type coins. I know they are quite a few of Chinese coin collectors out there so figured I'd give this a try here.

1901-1905 Circa Kirin 5 n 10 cash. The 5 cash is much more scarce than the 10 cash.
    1901-3m.jpg 1901-3m1.jpg 1901-3m2.jpg 1901-3m3.jpg

1901 Kiang-Soo EIVE cash error.
    1901r.jpg 1901r3.jpg

1903 Kirin 10 Cash(es)
    1903m.jpg 1903m1.jpg
    1920 50 Cash and 1928 100 Cash
    1928c.JPG 1920e.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. britannia40

1934 Sichuan/Shan xi 200 Cash (communism)
    1934m.jpg 1934m1.jpg

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The unslabbed 5 cash is from Fujian Province (Fookien). The Jiangsu 5 cash is actually very nice and highly desirable. 5 cash coins in general are a lot harder to find than one imagine. The Soviet 200 cash is not genuine.

I do have a page that's full of various Chinese coins issued by various provinces. I haven't got around to documenting everything that I have...

http://gxseries.com/numis/china/china_province.htm

Will post my favorite in the next thread.

britannia40 likes this.
  5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This is one coin that metal head collectors are highly after due to the metal content. I know it's not technically in the Empire era but I had to mention it since it's one coin that's going to be in my collection for a while. Struck (?) in antimony in Guizhou Province (Kweichow). Note that I am spelling in both pinyin and wades giles where possible. I am more familiar with the pinyin spelling.

[​IMG]

Here's some other favorites - from Peiyang

[​IMG]

Kiau Chau (Qing Dao) - features strong German design.

[​IMG]

One crown size from Guanggong Province (Kwangtung)

[​IMG]

A smaller size coin from Jiangnan Province (Kiangnan)

[​IMG]

This is a genuine silver Soviet-Chinese coin. These have been slowly disappearing from the market...

[​IMG]

There's plenty more to add but I'll hang on for now.

Theodosius, sonlarson, mlov43 and 2 others like this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Have to add - the Kirin 10 cash also looks odd as well. It could be varieties. In particular the calligraphy looks wrong as well as the number "1"0.

Here's my couple of examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Impressive group of China. I certainly understand how tough it is to find choice condition Chinese material. I collect cash coins, and when I find them late Imperial and early Republic issues. I just acquired a Yunnan cash of Pu-Yi in quite nice condition and am still working to find info on it as it is not in Hartill. Cool stuff.

britannia40 likes this.
  8. britannia40

1904-05 Shang-Tung 10 Cash
    1904e.jpg 1904e1.jpg

Hupoo Govt issue 20 Cash
    hupoo4.jpg Hupoo3.jpg

1920 Honan 50 Cash
    1920m.jpg 1920m1.jpg

1796 China Peking (Beijing) One Cash
    1796e.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    sonlarson likes this.
  9. britannia40

1911-1916 Rupee struck in Sichuan, which I believe was minted for Tibet.
    1911m.jpg 1911m1.jpg
    And no china collection is complete without a Fatman coin. 1914.
    1914a.JPG 1914.JPG
    1920z.JPG 1912c.JPG 1903ee.JPG 1902.JPG 1901zz.JPG

sonlarson likes this.
  10. britannia40

11. britannia40

I just got this on hand. I think it could be a copper trial strike of the Y332 silver Yuan. Exact size and strike. But might also be a copy. Not sure why would copy in copper.
    1917.jpg 1917a.jpg

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Copper copies of silver Chinese coins are all over eBay. Trial strikes do exist, but the market is flooded with novelty/fake/fantasy versions and actual trial strikes are rare.
    The inconsistencies around the rim and dentils, as well as overall detail leads me to believe this is one of the former.

Check out some recently sold by one seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...opper+dollar.TRS0&_nkw=copper+dollar&_sacat=0

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  13. Numismat

14. britannia40

yea either way im going to keep it. I love the dragon coins. Ill encapsulate it.

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The overstruck 10 cash coin is actually a poor example. This is overstruck over a 1896 5 fun. Note that there are three different varieties of this particular year.

[​IMG]

As far as I am concerned, the intended province is supposedly Zhejiang (Chekiang) Province. The reverse however does not match any known examples. This is an example that I own.

[​IMG]

Some other examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am certain you can tell the details are quite different. Many years ago these were quite common as millions of 5 fun coins were sold to China as scrap metal. This was supposed to be melted down to be struck as new coins but as you can imagine, some mints must have found overstriking to be a cheaper method. Whether this was officially done by corrupt mint officers or some counterfeiters' basement operation, I don't know. I suspect it could easily be both. However in recent years, many poor examples have been popping up and I suspect this is one of them.

As for the "pattern" - there are too many counterfeits flooding the market. This is one of them. Official pattern coins are just excessively rare - the chances of winning the first price lotto is much higher than buying genuine examples offered online at a bargain price. I would return it immediately.

britannia40 likes this.
  16. britannia40

17. Numismat

Are the second pair from the bottom Korean? I always found that IMTYPEF one interesting. Read it as "I'm type F" lol

18. britannia40

both pairs on the bottom should be chinese from the southern song dynasty.

2nd from bottom is shao xing yuan bao
    bottom is jian yan tong bao

19. britannia40

these are the other 2 i bought same time also song dynasty
    Screenshot_2016-02-07-21-50-00.png Screenshot_2016-02-07-21-49-15.png

20. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

While I'm looking at the new posts, which are fantastic coins, I figure I'll add a three more. I'm really having fun with this group of folks. Thanks to all of you. Cheers...

Attached Files:

britannia40 likes this.
  21. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Glad there are some Chinese Coin collectors :cool:. The Mongolian Unicode script needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise...

Imperial China, Yuan Dynasty: Zhi Zheng (1352) AE 3 wen (Hartill-19.105; Schjöth-1107)

Obv: 至正通寶 Zhi Zheng tong bao
    Rev: Mongol word on reverse above for the cyclical characters for the year of casting: ꡚꡞꡋ (Shin) for 壬辰 ren-chen (1352)

[​IMG]

britannia40 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted