PCGS or NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Nov 1, 2023.

1. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

So what did they do to the coin... in your opinion?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I am going to answer this just to be polite - I get the feeling that the OP doesn't think this tangent is applicable to their question or isn't what they were looking to see in response to their question (I did, but that's just me.)

I think when I posted images of the coin here when it came back from NGC, someone suggested it might have been sneezed/coughed on at some point.

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened or what is within the realm of possibility due to how they handle coins, I just know it came back with a big green corroded spot that wasn't there when I sent it in.

It had been sitting stable in my collection for long enough that I sincerely believe whatever happened to it, happened while in their custody.

Going to just leave my answer/thoughts here and drop it, as I don't feel OP thinks it is adding to the discussion. (I don't want to derail the discussion any further.) I did, because it factors into my decision making process for future submissions.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

imrich likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Corrosion does not just show up. It had to be there before the coin was sent in. Corrosion takes time to form. It was probably hiding under whatever the service removed from the surface of the coin. That is always a risk of conservation.
    And yes. This was not the topic of this thread.

Insider and imrich like this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Again, I did not send the coin in for conservation, just grading. And they had it for MONTHS. (Can’t remember exactly, want to say 5 months?)

OP has their opinion. I had the coins and saw everything firsthand.

Unsubscribing from this thread.

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Let’s get this thread back on track… personally I prefer submitting to NGC as they have an office in Munich, Germany, their customer service is outstanding and they’re the leading TPGS for world coins.

E.g. when I purchased an NGC Gold Dollar and noticed one of the pictures in the cert lookup was completely blurry, they agreed to take new pictures and returned the coin free of charge to me.

I also like the NGC registry, you can easily manage your collection and also add PCGS/CACG certified coins. The web site is user-friendly and if you look up any NGC coin which was certified in the past 10-15 years there are always pictures included.

I’ve noticed though that PCGS seems to be tougher with classic US coins, especially when comparing coins of the Bust, Seated and Barber series. If there are pictures provided in the cert lookup, they're always excellent, but often there are no pictures at all, which is a shame. I own some beautiful NGC Bust half dollars, but my nicest and all of my CAC certified Busties are in PCGS holders.

E.g. this one

1826_CBH_O-114_R4_obv_900x.png

1826_CBH_O-114_R4_rev_900x.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    ldhair likes this.
  7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I’ve observed odd grading over the last year. Sent in a Lincoln expecting a 66/67 RD, came back questionable color RB. I’m no expert, but have graded enough not to be that far off. Plus, I had a couple experts in the field look at the coin, and both were befuddled, which honestly made me feel better as you can imagine. Round 2, it came back 66 RD.
    Another, a silver proofwas clearly to the naked blind eye harshly cleaned, and it straight graded.
    I am aware grading is subjective but dislike paying for what can seemingly be described as arbitrary.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Was this NGC or PCGS?

9. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

PCGS

10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

In the past when I was a "Dealer", almost to a "sight unseen" coin, when I suggested the same coin in another slab than PCGS, and explained why, buyers demanded the lesser coin.

NO RETURN POLICY is currently prevalent!

JMHO

11. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I have found in my 70+ years of collecting, and eventually acquiring only TPG coins, that dependent upon type, PCGS can be more "forgiving"!

I believe their advertising priorities are "Paramount" to grading.

JMHO

12. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

1840-C $2.5 vf35 PCGS-CAC comp 3.jpg So, here's a rare old coin I tracked down to its former status as an NGC XF40, but now is in a PCGS slab as VF35 with CAC. Which is better?

Mainebill likes this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I buy coins that are graded and some are raw. The only thing that I don't like is that there is not a standard for the coin holders. For each grading company, you have to buy a different type of box for each type coin holder. I like to store my graded coins in order of the type of coin and the year, but if some holders are PCGS and other NGC, you have to guess which box a coin you are looking for is in. However, I like the PCGS holders, but I would not be upset if a standard coin holder would be in an NGC holder, but, please come up with a standard.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I prefer pcgs slabs. Especially the green label and doilies Than the old ngc fatties. I like ngc customer service and faster turnaround. I prefer pcgs as a rule selling. I’ll buy either with no hesitation. I think it depends on denomination too. Pcgs far better on trade dollars for resale. Ngc i feel better with early copper. Ngc hands down on world/ancient most of all I buy the coin not the holder. But i have more pcgs coins in both inventory and my collection

imrich and Joel Turner like this.
  15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I was just asked a question I cannot answer. Which company has the most employees, NGC or PCGS?

1. Working in just the coin division in the USA
    2. Working in any division in the USA.
    1. Total employees inside and outside USA in any division.

Paid consultants having things mailed to them do not count.

Thanks.

16. Player11

Player11 Bullish

My inventory consists of both about a 50/50 mix. I do a lot of world material.

Draft saved Draft deleted