Original vs. Imitations of Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Throughout history there has been several examples of coins imitating popular and well received coins. This applies to the west as well as the east. So, lets see how many different pairs we can post. Post an original and then an imitation of that original coin. I'll start off with the following coins:

Original Coin

Venice: Giovanni Soranzo (1312-1327) AR Grosso (Paolucci pg24, #2)

Obv: IO SVPANTIO S M VENETI DVX; Doge and S. Marco standing facing, holding banner between them
    Rev: IC - XC; Christ Pantokrator enthroned facing

[​IMG]

Imitation Coin

Bulgaria: Georgi Terter II (1322-1323) AR Grosh (Raduchev & Zhekov 1.10.1)

Obv: Christ enthroned facing, IC XC across field
    Rev: Georgi and St. Mark standing facing, holding banner between them

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Interesting Thread! I really like your Venice Grosso... Nice imitation pair!

If you understood how I collect, this is beyond bizarre that I have these together!

I really do NOT collect Fourees in my ancients collection. However, I just happened to have a fouree of one of my denarii. It so happens that I really do NOT focus in Roman Imperials, let alone Empresses... but I happen to have one:

ORIGINAL:
    RI AR Den Julia Domna 200 CE Felicitas Isis Horus RIC 577 O-R.jpg
    RI AR Den Julia Domna 200 CE Felicitas Isis Horus RIC 577 O-R.jpg

IMITATION / FOUREE:
    RI Julia Domna 194-217 Fouree AR Plated Den Isis Horus O-R.jpg
    RI Julia Domna 194-217 Fouree AR Plated Den Isis Horus O-R.jpg

4. Quant.Geek

That is definitely a nice fouree. Funny that I have been meaning to pick one up, but never got around to buying one. I can understand when one deviates from their collecting norms, happens to me all the time....

danielus likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

BELA III 1172-1196 AD of Hungary copied he Byzantine scyphate style coins but the style is not at all Byzantine.
    v00090bb2869.jpg

Thi Byzantine is ANDRONICUS I 1183-1185 AD. Both have Mary on the obverse.
    rz0625bb2497.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

To fund his war with Octavian, Mark Antony issued his legionary denarii.
    ra8560bb0210.jpg

To commemorate the 200th anniversary of the battle of Actium where Antony was defeated, Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus used the same design.
    re2310bb1050.jpg

7. Alegandron

I only have 2 fourees, and both were given to me! Just ODD that it matches an Empress. I don't even collect Imperials. Most of my collecting is Roman Republic and those States, Cities, and Entities that interacted with them. :)

danielus likes this.
  8. Quant.Geek

Outstanding! I was planning on posting the Hungarian scyphate, but you beat me to the punch. Great coins, Doug.

danielus likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Man, loads of medieval examples I have on my list to purchase, but no actual pairings in my possession yet... Interesting thread!

danielus and Quant.Geek like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

neat, if you wouldn't have told me i would just assume that grosso was a beat up venetian coin.

here's another bela iii that imitates an islmaic coin, as @Quant.Geek told me in another thread (had to go back and look it up again) it imitates an almoravid dinar.

my coin...

[​IMG]

not my coin...

[​IMG]

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Danubian LRB imitatives are some of my favorites for their outlandish style...

Original...

fhpat26.jpg

Barbarous...

fhbarb 6.jpg

12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Trajan issued a SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI type

thumb00625.jpg

and Constantine I also issued this type after he defeated Maxentius

spqr349.jpeg

Constantine I
    A.D. 312-313
    23x24mm 4.6gm
    IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG; laureate and cuirassed bust right
    SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI; Legionary eagle (to the left) between two vexilla, that on left surmounted by a right hand, that on right by a wreath; flag on the eagle.
    in ex R P
    RIC VI Rome 349

some eagles have spread wings

SPQR_Rome349p_spread.JPG

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Trajan SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI (many rulers used horsemen types but this imcludes the legend)
    re1690bb1732.jpg

Septimius Severus
    rs2450b00858lg.jpg

Lucius Verus TRP IIII IMP II COS II very common type
    re2370bb1120.jpg

Septimius Severus - a scarce one from Alexandria - better examples show the legend matches as well
    rs0440b01661lg.jpg

Pescennius Niger VICTOR IVST AVG a common one for him
    rs0055bb3155.jpg

Septimius Severus - a scarce one from Emesa
    rs0650b00968blg.jpg

14. Alegandron

I have made this statement before. I believe the Victory on the reverse of the Roman Republic pre-denarius Didrachm is a beautiful design. I have always seen a likeness between the reverse of the French 20 Franc gold coin and the Didrachm that spans almost 2300 years...

RR Anon 265-242 BCE Didrachm Roma-Victory Crawford 22-1 Sear 25.JPG
    RR Anon 265-242 BCE Didrachm Roma-Victory Crawford 22-1 Sear 25.JPG

upload_2016-8-31_7-49-8.png
    20 Franc gold coin of France

15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Peroz and not so Peroz

PerozA3.jpg

TokaristanA.jpg

16. Quant.Geek

Byzantine and Bulgarian Imitation:

Byzantine Empire: Alexius III Angelus-Comnenus (1195-1203) BI Aspron Trachy Nomisma, Constantinople (Sear-2011; DOC 3a)

Obv: Beardless, nimbate bust of Christ, wearing tunic and kolobion; holds scroll in left hand. Pellet, or pellets, normally in each limb of nimbus cross. IC XC in field
    Rev: Full-length figure of Alexius on left and of St. Constantine nimbate, holding between them globus cruciger. Emperor and saint wear stemma, divitision, collar-piece, and jeweled loros of simplified type; both hold labarum-headed scepter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Quant.Geek

Here is a pair that you normally don't encounter:

Byzantine Empire: Constantine X Ducas (1059-1067) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1853; DOC-8)

Obv: +ЄMMA NOVHA; Nimbused Christ standing facing on footstool; IC XC to left and right
    Rev: +ΚШΝΤΔΚ ЄVΔΚΑVΓΟ; Eudocia and Constantine standing facing, holding between them a labarum with a cross on shaft set upon three steps

[​IMG]

The Zangid Atabegs of Aleppo: Nur al-din Mahmud ibn Zangi (1146-1174 CE) Æ Dirham (Album-1850)

Obv: Within circle of small beads, two Byzantine-style standing figures facing forwards supporting a labarum resting on three steps; downwards left of the standard, العادل (al-‘adil), downwards right of the standard, نردين (nur al-din); blundered Greek legends around
    Rev: Within a circle of small beads, figure of Christ standing, facing forward, holding book in left hand and with right hand on hip; downwards on right, محمود‎‎ (mahmud); downwards on left, مالك الأمراء (malik al-umara’); blundered Greek legends to the left and right

[​IMG]

18. Alegandron

How about Philip II of Makedon?

Original:
    Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd O-R Le Rider 102.JPG
    Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd O-R Le Rider 102

Danubian Celts Imitations:
    Celtic Imitation Philip II drachm Kugelwangel type- Agora auction obv-rev.JPG
    Celtic Imitation Philip II drachm - pecunum auction obv-rev.JPG

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

20. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well I would love to answer that but it would be soooo much easier to just come right out and say it, "I have no idea."

danielus likes this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful examples guys!!

It seems I have either the imitation or the 'original' and not both:(:sorry:

danielus, Ancientnoob and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted