Odd 1941 Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by USS656, Oct 19, 2006.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I received as change today a 1941 nickel that looks like it is made of a different alloy than a normal nickel.

After cleaning the coin with heavy duty cleaner it appeard to take off a paint like substance. While the coin is very dull in appearance, it sounds exactly the same as a current nickel when dropped on a table. I know this is not a very scientific approach but I am less likely to believe there is anything different about this coin now.

Thanks

Darryl

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well #1 it is not a good idea to clean a coin---that will kill the value most of the time by 50% or more.
    Post a photo of it and maybe we can help.

Speedy

4. USS656

Thank you Speedy,

Good advice about the cleaning and I will keep it mind the next time I find a coin that might be rare.

As mentioned though, after closer examination I think this is a normal coin with no special value. Whatever the nickel was covered with originally looked natural and odd which is what prompted my original question. It just looks old now, which it is. The coin still has a black dull sheen from what ever it was covered in or as a result of the chemical I used. Before I "cleaned it" it looked more like a lead penny type of alloy. You can see the result in the attachment.

Best Regards,

Darryl

Attached Files:

5. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Henning didn't make any 1941 nickels so I would say its a common '41, just discolored.

6. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

Looks like a typical 'metal detector' find.

7. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Most detector nickels turn red.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Actually, it depends upon where the con was found, and the type of soil.
    I have dug some pieces with color like this, but, there dosen't seem to be the porosity and 'rot' to the con that I usually find.
    Still, could be a dug coin, as I said, depends upon teh soil, and how much fertilizer they used, etc.

9. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Hi uss656,
    What color was the nickel when you found it, I ask because if it was red paint in the forties it cost a nickel to play music in a jukebox. And the bars would paint the nickels they used so they could tell just how much money they were using in there jukebbox and how much there customers were putting in. When jukebox went to a quarter to play you could find quarters witn the same red paint. So now you know how old I am yes I am as old as red paint.

10. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

That clears up a mystery for me. About 6 months ago, I found a silver Washington in my register at work. And, oddly enough, it had red paint all over it. I cleaned it off with some heavy duty metal cleaner (I know, bad idea. But it was a common date circ.). Got the paint off, sure enough, though I ended up selling it along with a bunch of other junk silver for spot a few months later. Still, least that explains WHY someone would paint a quarter red...:whistle:

11. USS656

Painted nickel

Nickel had grey paint and looked just like the old lead penny’s. Because it was around the same era it made me stop and wonder.

Thanks for the history lesson, it was very interesting. :smile It's always amazing to reflect on how much history is lost to newer generations. My kids will grow up not even understanding why they made lead penny's.

Best Regards,

Darryl

12. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Okay, I'll bite. I've been around for 74 years, and I not only don't understand why "they made lead pennys", but I didn't even know they had! [​IMG]

The only time I ever head of lead pennies was the time I saw an EBay auction for some WWII steel cents misidentified that way.

"Lead nickles", actually nickle-sized slugs, on the other hand, were common in my teenage years - they were used in juke boxes and cigarette machines, before sophisticated counterfeit detection was developed for vending machines.

13. USS656

Lead Penny

Take from the US Mint web site:

During World War II, there were Massive shortages of Copper. Copper was the main ingredient for Shell Casings, Bullets, Bombs and Guns for the war! The US Government was forced to forgo the copper they typically used for coins until they could find more elsewhere! The copper saved by making pennies out of Steel (rather than copper) was enough to meet the combined needs of "two cruisers, two destroyers, 1242 flying fortresses, 120 field guns and 120 howitzers" or enough for 1 and 1/4 million shells for Big Field Guns! WOW! What Demand!
    When first introduced, these Strange cents were "shunned" by the general population ... they were often called "lead pennies", "lead cents", or "steelies". When "Brand New", the 1943 cents looked like and were often mistaken for dimes, and in 1943, making a 9 cent mistake was HUGE! When these cents corroded, they looked like slugs, hence the nick name, "lead pennies." In 1945 the mint began to Withdraw steel cents from circulation! In the next 20 years the mint retrieved almost 15% of the steel pennies that were minted and DESTROYED THEM ALL!

I asked 7 people in my office between the ages of 24 and 35 and not one of them had ever seen or heard of a steel "lead" penny.

14. USS656

Lead penny

Again, moment of reflection - You say misidentified, I say lost history. The history of the times is as valuable as the coin from the era. It's a part of what makes it worth collecting for me. :rolleyes:

15. Treashunt

"I asked 7 people in my office between the ages of 24 and 35 and not one of them had ever seen or heard of a steel "lead" penny."

I am glad that they never heard of a lead cent. Actually steel composition, and 'lead cent' was a misnomer, people simply mis-identified them. (1943 only, then the cent went to a 'shell-case' composition.)
    There actually never was a lead cent.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There was never a shell case cent either. The mint did entertain the idea and even experimented with it, but none were ever struck for circulation.

17. satootoko

satootoko Retired

:confused: [​IMG] :confused:

18. GDJMSP

Just like me, the books aint always right.

I'd have to look where I read it but there was study done on this of the old mint records. They did change the composition, but the metal never came from cartridge cases.

19. GDJMSP

As I said, I aint always right. The following is from an article in Coin World, this is what I was remembering -

" When 1944 began, the Mint abandoned the zinc-coated steel composition and reintroduced the 95 percent copper, 5 percent zinc alloy used for a time in 1942. The government began recycling spent brass cartridge casings from the war for use in making the cents of 1944 to 1946. For years, collectors called these "shell-case cents." The amount of copper needed for the cent coinage far outstripped the supply of shell casings and had to be supplanted by additional copper. Lange suggests that the use of the shell casings had more use as propaganda and morale boosting than any practical purpose. "

In a second article on the subject -

" Some of the copper for these wartime alloy cents came from used ammunition shell cases, which were made of 70 percent copper, according to Lange. The shell cases were not the only source of copper for cents, according to Lange, who notes the supplies of spent munitions would have been insufficient to meet coinage demand. "

The first article can be found - HERE - on Coin World's web site, and the second article - HERE

As you can see from the articles, it was the govt. itself that was recycling the spent shell casings in order to recover the copper. Some of that copper was used by the US Mint for coinage. But it was not the only source of copper for coins. So while I was mistaken in my comments, so is the book.

Hate it when that happens :D

20. Treashunt

To quote the Guide Book (Red Book):
    Cartridge cases were salvaged for coinage from 1944 through 1946. Athough the color was slightly different for uncirculated specimens, the coins proved satisfactory in every respect."
    Also: "1944-1946: composition .950 copper, .050 zinc.
    "1947- 1958-- composition: 3950 coper, .050 tin and zinc. "

So, maybe they were, but considering the difference, who cares.

21. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

I have a bunch of war-time alloy coins.

I beleive the 42-45 nickels were made of 35% silver content.

I have about 10 of the 1943 steel cents including one uncirculated one that shines like new! It's almost a bluish gray color.

I also have a few of the 1944 "shell casing" cents. Unsure if they are really shell casings, but the color is slightly different from the rest of my wheats

Draft saved Draft deleted