Newbie needing help...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sschlee, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Sschlee

Sschlee New Member

So I have a 2013 D Dime that has what appears to be another letter with the D. I had it looked at from a coin dealer and I don't really agree with what he said. If I could have other opinions on it that would be wonderful
    2023-4-7 3-55-57.jpg 2023-4-7 8-14-30.jpg

PamR and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and welcome to CoinTalk!
    It is strange to say the least. Awaiting more members to chime in..........:nailbiting:

PamR and Sschlee like this.
  4. Sschlee

Sschlee New Member

Ty for the welcome I am excited to be a member and learn more about coins. I started collecting a little over a year ago and am still amazed by it all.

PamR and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Just a smudge or stain from circulation…imo…Spark

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely not any type of letter added at the time of minting.
    Welcome to CT.

PamR, Sschlee and Inspector43 like this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Given that mint marks are no longer hand punched, something like does not seem possible directly from the mint.

Mountain Man, PamR, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  8. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

What did the coin dealer say about it? And did they offer to buy it right after that?

9. Sschlee

Sschlee New Member

He said that it appears to be a mark from someone cleaning it and that it wasn't worth anything over face value, but did off me .50 for it (just thought it was a bit strange) I am perfectly fine with it being nothing but why offer me .40 over value for something that is "nothing"...
    But at the same time he checked a penny I had and told me to hang on to it because was worth something.

PamR and Mountain Man like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What was the penny?

11. Sschlee

Sschlee New Member

Not sure if my lingo us correct so please correct me if I'm wrong but it's a 1994 D over D...
    Screenshot_20230419_200612_Gallery.jpg

Kentucky and PamR like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks interesting but two things...to some of the purists on this site, England makes pennies, the US makes cents :) and AFAIK this is after the date the mint marks were added at the die stage, so I don't think it is a D/D, considering it is a Zincoln, probably a plating issue or deterioration.

Sschlee likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Sschlee welcome to CT. I always love seeing females in the hobby. We have a few here, and yours and their opinions, help keep things moving forward on this site.
    Thank you for your post and questions. I too, would be wondering why a coin store owner would say, "It's nothing," and then turn around and offer over face value. Personally, I wouldn't trust that person.

Right now, my vision isn't what it should be, due to eye strain, so I'm going to be honest and not even guess on what is there, but others will continue to post their opinions.

I can offer the following suggestion, that might help many on this site.

For the best results, you should post "in focus," FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and are easily enlarged by clicking on it). Photograph coins on neutral backgrounds like black, grey, or white. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows (you can use https://www.remove.bg for free), and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. While it isn’t always necessary, it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.

Hope that helps, but any questions about posting, please just ask.

Sschlee and PamR like this.
  14. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to Coin Talk. People here are very helpful. They are also very truthful in their opinions andsome people appear to have a hard time with that.

Sschlee and PamR like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted