My favorite 1970's silver art bar "finds"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1970 Silver Art, Jun 6, 2009.

1. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I have not been on this forum that long but I love to collect these '70's silver art bars on. I prefer to buy them locally because most of the time, I can buy them cheaper at my coin dealer and coin shows as opposed to ebay. I also like the challenge of finding these art bars locally.

Here are some of my favorite '70's silver art bars that I found locally:

ErrorTrainFront.jpg

This is a 1-oz "The General" silver art bar. This art bar was minted in 1972 by the Madison Mint. This is the "error" version of the "General" silver art bar. The reverse side of this silver art bar is blank. I bought this art bar in August 2008 at a coin show in North Georgia. I live in TN but I am close enough to GA that I can make a short drive over the state border. I paid $17.00 for this art bar when spot silver was $13.59/oz. At the time, ebay had them for well over $20 plus shipping. This was the art bar that got me started in collecting '70's 1-oz silver art bars.

Here is another '70's silver art bar that I bought at a coin show in North Georgia:

WaterGateBugFront.jpg

WaterGateBugBack.jpg

This is a 1-oz "Watergate Bug" silver art bar. This art bar was minted in 1974 by the Colonial Mint. I bought this art bar in April 2009 and I paid $15.00 for this art bar when spot silver was $11.89/oz.

Here is a '70's silver art bar find in Tennessee:

TinLizzieFront.jpg

TinLizzieBack.jpg

This is a 1-oz "Ford Tin Lizzie" silver art bar.This silver art bar was minted in 1972 by the Madison Mint. I bought this silver bar at a coin show in Tennessee in October 2008. I paid $15.00 for this art bar when spot silver was $9.86/oz. At the time, ebay was selling this art bar for an average of $20-$21 when you factor in shipping and insurance costs.

I plan to buy many more '70's silver art bars in the future at my local coin dealer and at coin shows. I will update this thread when I find and purchase '70's silver art bars that are considered my favorites. It will be a select few pics of any '70's silver art bars that I buy in the future. The pics that I posted on this thread and in my photo album on my public profile so far are just a small part of my entire 1970's silver art bar collection. These bars that I posted so far on this forum (this thread and my photo album) are my favorite '70's silver art bars.

Enjoy. :smile

Jason Hoffpauir and SammyMann like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Thanks for sharing those and especially the prices. Regarding the General, what makes it an error? And how can you tell the difference?
    Is the error worth more? Thanks.

4. 1970 Silver Art

I might be hard to tell from the pic but if you look at the second section of the "General", it is mis-spelled. On the bar it is incorrectly spelled "W. & A.A.R.R.".

The correct spelling should be "W. & A.R.R.".

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very Nice!!

Some very nice art bars
    I am like to find 1950-1975 US Proof that are cameo:kewl:

Attached Files:

6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Thanks, I'll have to check mine. I am getting off this forum now; the pages are loading much too slow today.

7. 1970 Silver Art

I do not think the error is worth more but I could be wrong about that. There is another 1-oz "General" silver art bar that came out that does not have the error on it but the second section on that other "General" silver art bar is "shorter".

EDIT: I do not think that the correct spelling will be on the "General" silver art bar with the "shorter" second section but I might be wrong on that.

8. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

Brings back memories...my mom gave me a "Watergate Bug" 1 oz bar shortly after they came out way back when...I still have it.........

9. orpheus72

orpheus72 IASAC Member 762

That is correct, the bar without error has a smaller second section with no markings on it. Both bars where issued in 1972. As there are no mintage figures for both bars, the value should be considered spot silver + small premium

[​IMG]

Another difference is the reverse side of the bar:
    The error bar MAD-9E has a blank reverse while the 'correct' bar can have 3 different varieties : a blank (MAD-9), a Type 1 (MAD-9V) or a Type 2 (MAD-9V1) reverse.

Type 1

[​IMG]

Type 2

[​IMG]

10. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Thank you

Checked mine out. It's the error variety with blank reverse. Thanks again for the detailed info.

11. 1970 Silver Art

Thanks for that information orpheus72. That is very helpful. I am learning something new everytime I get on this forum.

12. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I like the General that is something i would be very happy to add to the collection :)

13. 1970 Silver Art

Unfortunately, I did not have any luck last week finding any '70's silver art bars when I went to the coin dealers in my area. There is a coin show in my area coming up in August and maybe I will have some luck there. I prefer to buy these art bars locally since I can buy them at a lower premium to spot silver. I got outbid on my last ebay auction for a 1-oz '70's silver art bar.

Since I have some time on my hands, I will post another pic of one of my previous '70's art bar purchases from last year.

SpritofStLouisFront.jpg

It is a 1-oz "Spirit of St. Louis" silver art bar. This silver art bar was minted in 1972 by the Madison Mint. The reverse type of this silver art bar is blank. I bought this at a local coin dealer in November of 2008 and I paid $15.00 for it (spot silver was $9.99/oz on the day of purchase).

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Wow, awesome bars. I just love that first general posted!

15. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Yup I have a Spirit of St. Louis in my collection too. The bars were part of an estate coin collection I purchased [as mentioned earlier]. I guess old Fenton knew what he was doing when he obtained the bars. It seems he purchased most of the "good ones".

16. orpheus72

It's a nice bar indeed, but a 'good one' ? this MAD-4 Spirit of St-Louis was minted in an unknown mintage and has a rarity value of $3 over spot.
    If you speak about 'good ones' you should consider the 'GREATHOUSE-production' bars, with a rarity value of at least $50 over spot silver (unfortunately i don't own any of them :crying: )

But high value or not, our own art bar collection keeps shining to us.

17. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Well yes indeed. Not being from the USA perhaps you are not familiar with the history of this significant airplane and it's flight. I also have the US stamp to go along with it.

18. orpheus72

With the history of the USA i'm not so familiar, but i know that 'the Spirit of St Louis' made the first non-stop trip Paris-New York if i remember right.

19. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Correct. In 1927 a $25,000 prize offered by a New York hotel owner in 1919 for the first person to fly nonstop over the Atlantic ocean was still unclaimed. Several flyers had died trying to do it.
    Charles Lindburgh helped design an airplane and had it built. He successfully was the very first person to fly nonstop from New York to Paris; May 10 and 11, 1927. This brought new confidence to airplanes and increased use of air mail. What many people don't know is that from 1931 to 1935 he worked on and developed an artificial heart. He died in 1974.
    Associated US history includes the traumatic kidnapping of the Lindburgh baby.
    So this is why I consider my art bar a "good one" even though the premium is rather small.

20. 1970 Silver Art

Since I did not buy any '70's silver art bars this weekend, I decided to post another pic of one of my '70's silver art bar purchases earlier this year.

NewYorkCity.jpg

NewYorkCityBack.jpg

I want to apologize for the poor quality of the pics of this silver art bar. The "$" water marks were put there by the previous photo software that I was using at the time because it was a trial version of a software called VueScan. This is an old picture that I took using VueScan and my HP scanner. I will freely admit that I was too lazy to take another picture of this silver art bar using ACDSee Pro Photo that I currently have.

This silver art bar is a "New York City" 1-oz silver art bar from the Mother-Lode mint. This silver bar was minted in 1973. I bought this silver art bar from a local coin show in Tennessee in early March of 2009. I paid $18.00 for this art bar when spot silver was $13.33/oz. It was a bit pricey at the time IMO but I will use my "It costs more on ebay" excuse for paying the price that I paid for it. The silver art bar is not in the greatest of condition when I bought it in March 2009. I decided to leave it the way it is. I like it the way it is.

Mother-Lode mint made some good silver art bars during the early '70's IMO. USSC mint '70's silver art bars are still the best silver art bars ever minted IMO.

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I kinda liked "The Silver Dollar Saloon" up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Ripley :eek:)

Draft saved Draft deleted