[CLOSED] Most Under Graded Coin

Discussion in 'Contests' started by 180IQ, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Beggin' to differ . . . In high AU grades, luster means more than detail does.

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think that's a pretty hard statement to back up. I cannot think of even one series where an average MS62 of old has become an average MS66 by today's standards.

baseball21, Santinidollar and Insider like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I completely agree with you. But in 180's defense the "idea" behind what he said is quite correct. He merely used two wrong numbers to illustrate that idea.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nevertheless, words mean something. The wrong words used to express an "idea" can start a war. The wrong numbers used to describe a coin can lead to a "war" of ideas. :D

While opinions are natural :cool: and we all learn from participation in discussions :bookworm:, I don't give out participation :yack::yack: trophies. :jawdrop:

6. coincollector197

coincollector197 ANA Platinum member since 12/9/15

I'll play! I submitted both of these to ANACS a little while ago, NOT breaking the cases, of course and I just got a phone call informing me that I have 2 MS 65 Morgans to pick up from ANACS. I paid $75 each, and I had a 2 free grades coupon.

Attached Files:

7. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Why did you send PCGS old green holders to be regraded by ANACS?

baseball21 likes this.
  8. coincollector197

coincollector197 ANA Platinum member since 12/9/15

To get MS 65 grades. I just wanted to turn a fast profit, because I know I get $100 each now at worst.

Insider likes this.
  9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I sent these 3 nickels to PCGS. I knew they were all undergraded when I learned what PCGS graded them. So I sent them to NGC.

1947 S
    PCGS MS66 - $45 BV
    NGC - MS67★5FS - $19,000 BV

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCGS MS65 - $23 BV
    NGC MS66 5FS - $8250 BV

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1940 D
    I couldn't believe how bad PCGS dropped the ball on this one.
    PCGS - MS66 - $16 BV
    NGC - MS67★6FS - $275 BV
    [​IMG]

10. swimdad

swimdad New Member

Wow! Where did you find those?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Bought them raw on eBay for about $20.

12. swimdad

swimdad New Member

I am very impressed with your ability to pick those out - very keen eye. I am overall a poor ebayer but I try (and "fail" ) too many times. You holding or selling?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Holding nickels to work on my registry set.

swimdad likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The OP said that he was going to resubmit this coin 8 months ago. I'd sure like to know what happened.

Chris

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Front and back. In and out. No need to read further. I'm glad I didn't waste my time wading through this one...........

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I recall, I dropped out on Post #2, and the only reason I returned was because Tyler had posted a "Like" on that comment.

Yeah, the OP was just a bunch of hot air who made unsubstantiated claims. Of course, he won't be back on this subject.

Chris

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably drove off a cliff........(did I say that?) Hope better for him. Anyway, he ain't been see since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.