Military Challenge Coins... Post Yours ♤

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Came across these in my collection and thought I'd share. A few years ago (before getting big into coins) I bought a bag of around 40+/- of these for $50 at a yard sale I just happened to stop at. Long story short I made over 1k on the sale of them and 2 went for around $300 each. I was floored to say the least and kept these 2. I had a few of the deputy general ones and they went for around $80 ea. so I kept one. And the smaller one I kept because the design was just too cool and very intricate. It was the only one so I'm not sure the value of it but the design rocks imho.

(Any members with Challenge coins please post em so we can get a challenge coin thread going if it's feasible as I'm not sure how many CT users collect them)

20160214_073025.jpg 20160214_073039.jpg 20160214_073056.jpg 20160214_073045.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got these from @Jwt708 a little ways back. He graciously sent them along to me only because I showed interest in them. Now there's a great and fine fellow. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not sure if this really counts, but I caught this from the Marine band float during Mardi Gras this year. It's about the size of a quarter. image.jpg image.jpg

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Islander80-83 and green18 like this.
  6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

When I first saw your CSER coin I was thinking CSAR.

Islander80-83 and kaparthy like this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Is there a difference or were you thinking Caesar?
    I really like the detail of it. It reminds me of the Texas commem in that regard

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@Cascade I'm glad you made some money off your bad. I would have been interested to see what the entire bag contained.. could have been a sort of numismatic legacy of one individual's career. Here's the thread I started...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/challenge-coins.218228/

Here's a couple of mine that all relate to my specific job:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. I can't tell you what they all were but I remember one of the $300 ones was from a CIA director or Secretary of navy or defense or something with the first name Mike. They were all from a soldier in the early days of OIF

10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I still actively collect these as I'm still serving (I'll probably chase old unit challenge coins when I retire), the only problem is they don't come around too often. Here are my favorites.

IMG_5763.JPG IMG_5764.JPG

11. Seattlite86

This is one I made for my own command. I didn't manage to give them all out before leaving command and have quite a few laying around.

IMG_5765.JPG

12. Seattlite86

That CSER is beautiful!

Islander80-83 likes this.
  13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

No, Combat Search And Rescue Yes, it has great detail. This is a great thread! You will get a lot of hits on it. Semper Fi

14. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I left to go in the military from Long Island. Nice coins!

Islander80-83, kaparthy and Jwt708 like this.
  15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hey Lakenheath- Check it out:

S20160214_011.jpg S20160214_012.jpg

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice!

Hey now I only live in Lakenheath but stationed at Mildenhall.

Men with Hill...now that's up there!

Islander80-83 and mac266 like this.
  17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Very nice, Jack. All with a special meaning to you as a bonus.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I suspect the CSER (not CSAR) medal was made by the Medallic Arts Company. It looks like their U.S. work.

Seattlite86 and Cascade like this.
  19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I love that 51st Maintenance Squadron!! I served in Korea in the 51st Maintenance Squadron at Osan AB in 1997-1998. I was AMMO, I worked in the bomb dump.

Here's the one I carried in my wallet for years..

AMMO-Obverse.jpg AMMO-Reverse.jpg

20. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, up north. North Yorkshire.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow, this thread is really taking off... And on a Sunday and holiday no less :cat:

TJ1952 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted