[CLOSED] LordM & spirityoda Giveaway, November 2018: dip into my bulk World coin stash!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Go on EBay and check out the MS62 example. I feel as though I bought the superior coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Y'know, you could show the other side. Just sayin'. ;)

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

entry post

Not sure why I chose this to post. I know I have never shared it here. It's one of my favorite pieces.

1844 Henry Clay Campaign Medal

Clay01.jpg
    Clay02.jpg

Bayern, Paul M., sonlarson and 4 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Quite the evening for attractive medals, it seems!

Nathan401 and Chris B like this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

It seemed we had a theme going so I stuck with it.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

(Entry Post)

Here is a 20 Balboa piece flanked by two 1/10 Balboas.
    balboa2.jpg balboa1.jpg

Bayern, Paul M., sonlarson and 3 others like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Cool. There might end up being being a little bit of Panama or other Latin American coins in the prize lots. Not one o' dem big honkin' Sterling silver suckers, though!

9. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Entry Post

So, I was gearing up for the annual "Black Friday" foray into Christmas shopping, fearing that I would drain my bank account again and slip into my annual depression about all of the bills I'd have to pay, when all of a sudden I came across a message of hope that pierced the looming black clouds like a lighthouse in the dark, reminding me of why I do it. :)

eafa0456d1c32d0a649f1ae837e30566.jpg

Bayern and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

AD60D201-49C8-4EBD-8119-4FB1016767EC.jpeg I’d say it spent a very short time in someone’s pocket.

Paul M., sonlarson and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Entry post,
    World coins are fun! I would like to build a world coin collection! I am sure there are all different kinds.......silver........gold........copper..........bronze..............Ancient world coins!!!! Anyway, thanks for doing the contest!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Won't be any gold or ancients in the prizes this time around, but all the rest of those will be there.

Noah Finney likes this.
  13. Noah Finney

I know, fun to think about though! ;) ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Definitely.

I need to go check and see if I won this 1680s Belgian church token in the Heritage European auction, which I think closed tonight.

I suspect not. I didn't have the money to bid really strongly. Just enough to get into the ballpark, maybe. We'll see...

4521546l.jpg

Bayern, Paul M., Paddy54 and 6 others like this.
  15. Noah Finney

Nice coin.... it is really cool! . I love medieval and us colonial coins! I collect the Spanish reale's right now. I hope someday in the future that I can get an 8 escudos!

upload_2018-11-17_22-30-30.jpeg upload_2018-11-17_22-30-51.jpeg

Attached Files:

Bayern, Paul M., Nathan401 and 3 others like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Woohoo! I won the memento mori (skull & bones) token! Very narrowly, as it happens - without a penny to spare.

Spanish colonial stuff is cool.

An 8-escudo is something to aspire to, but I can't afford even the melt value of the gold in one of those! It'll never happen for me.

I can content myself with my tiny half-escudo piece, though.

[​IMG]

Bayern, Paul M., Chris B and 4 others like this.
  17. Noah Finney

Congratulation's!!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The grammar mistake makes me sad.

Paul M., Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Entry post:

Trying to think of something interesting to post about coins. Of course, when you're on the spot your mind goes blank. But I think a big part of why I like coins is the history. If I didn't love history I don't think I'd have any interest in coins, because the two go hand in hand. I remember the thrill of seeing those old dates engraved on that round piece of metal from some far away land, or even here in the USA. Now it's become so common for me that it takes a lot for it to have an impact, but the first time I started seeing coins with dates in the 1800s it was really exciting.

One of the aspects of world coin collecting that intrigues me is the unusual countries. Sure, we all see plenty of coins from Great Britain, Mexico, France, Germany, etc., but I'm always especially thrilled to see a coin from some little island or obscure colony that hasn't existed for 100 years. One of the best examples I can think of is the first time I saw a coin from Sarawak. I'd never heard of such a place, so not only did I add to my collection but to my knowledge of the world as well.

20. lordmarcovan

Aha! The infamous "greengrocer's apostrophe"! I totally overlooked that, and those usually irk me.

(* You do realize that the majority of the people reading this will have also overlooked that detail, and will have no idea what we're mumbling about, of course.)
    ;)

Noah Finney and Hiddendragon like this.
  21. Hiddendragon

I'm a copy editor. To me these things are like a flashing neon sign.

Paul M. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.