[CLOSED] LordM giveaway #75 (what's your oldest coin?)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #45.

What is the oldest coin in your collection? Post it (or tell us about what it is if you lack the ability to post pictures). At the end of the month or shortly thereafter, I will do a drawing, and the winner will receive a coin older than their current oldest coin. As long as your oldest coin is later than 242 BC, I can manage this.

(*In other words, you're not eligible to win if your oldest coin predates 242 BC, but we still would love to see what you have.)

One entry post per contestant, please. This contest will be decided via random number generator sometime on or after the first of August, 2022, though if that should be delayed by my absence, you may assume the contest to be open for entries until such time as I return and perform the drawing. Good luck!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

Kurisu, masterswimmer, dwhiz and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Entry Post:
    My oldest coin is the one I won from @Theodosius!

A great bronze of Severus Alexander from Marcianopolis, Tyche reverse. This coin is nicely detailed and damage free, but it has no patina. The raw brass has a medium-dark tone, but that’s it.
    MOESIA INFERIOR. Marcianopolis. Severus Alexander, AD 222-235. Magistrate Umbrius Tereventius. Obv.: AVT K M AVP CEVH AΛEΞANΔPOC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev.: HΓ OY M TEPEBENTINOY MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN; Tyche standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia. Ref.: Varbanov 1708.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your generosity :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    expat, Good Cents and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Point of fact, you won that from @Theodosius. I was only the master of ceremonies for that particular contest. ;)

expat and Abramthegreat like this.
  5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Well, crap.

9A94B899-3267-4282-BD65-6669587E8696.jpeg

6. lordmarcovan

This contest does rather disadvantage people who already own archaic Greek coinage. ;)

7. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The middle coin isn't from anywhere near Greece or Asia Minor, yet it's the oldest out of the three. Gandhara Kingdom (present day Afghanistan/Pakistan) 1/8 Shatamana, ca. 500 BC, I believe. One of the oldest coins ever struck worldwide. The reverse is blank.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

At present I do believe this is my oldest... entry post
    20220223_085330.jpg 20220223_085309.jpg nope its a 1624/3 1657587725175_s-l400 (1).jpg 1657587724262_s-l400 (3).jpg

If my number is drawn please give my prize to Rebecca Shrew.

9. lordmarcovan

I knew it was central Asian (India, I thought), but wasn't sure exactly what it was. The others I did recognize as Greek, from the Archaic period. Those tetartemorions sure are dinky!

Omegaraptor likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

No 1700s even, Paddy? I'm surprised.

PS- Oh, wait, you added the cob. What's the date range on that?

PPS- And you just added the older Polish coin. I can't keep up with the edits. Doesn't matter. Whatever you come up with by the time of the drawing will be fine.

Abramthegreat likes this.
  11. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Good point, I will edit...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Paddy54

I have to go pull the paper work... like you some of the Paddy hoard has come and gone...
    Like the Groat you purchased from me ...that was 1400's

13. Paddy54

1572-1733 i believe that it is more the late 1600 to 1700's.
    So the Sigmund is my oldest.

14. lordmarcovan

This is presently my oldest coin.

[​IMG]

15. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

NOT AN ENTRY POST

Ionia Silver Diobol, circa 500 B.C. My first ancient, I just purchased it in the last year. Prior to that, I'd have been eligible with my 1798 large cent.

Ionia Miletos Diobol.jpg 1798LCafterVC (2).JPG 1798LCafterVC (4).JPG

16. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

One that I got from you — a 1625 2 Kreuzer from Bavaria.

[​IMG]

expat, Good Cents and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Oldest I can put a date on is my Rosa (1722) though i have a 1/2 dozen tiny bronzes that are probably older, roman suposedly but not enough coin to id/date and a couple fanams that could be 1300-1900 but again not dateable :D so you get my Rosa Americana 20210621_224401 (2).jpg 20210621_224417 (2).jpg

18. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Judaea, Alexander Jannaeus, 103-76 BC, AE Prutah, Hasmonaean - the first king of the Hasmonaean dynasty to produce coins.

What I really would like is an Ancient Judaea that has Hebrew lettering (as opposed to Greek or Roman) where the Hebrew lettering is clear. They are rare and cost more than I can afford. So it's just going to have to stay on my list of wants and wishes. Thankfully, I am surviving during this financially insecure and difficult time in the world, which is more than a lot of other people can say. So, I'm grateful for what I have.

Thank you so much Rob for doing this contest!! :)

Here is my Treasure:

Judaea, Alexander Jannaeus, 103-76 BC, AE Prutah, Hasmonaean - the first king of the Hasmonaean dynasty to produce coins.

Text on Coin: YHONTN = (Yehonatan); H= The; KHN = (Priest); H= The; DOL = (high); W (HH)BR (counsel); H= The; YHWDM (Jews)

Alexander Jannaeus 103-76 BC - Bought 21-12-15.jpg

lordmarcovan and Abramthegreat like this.
  19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1374-aachen-2a.jpg 1374-i3a-2.jpg
    If I should win I would like for @Matthew Kruse to receive the prize.
    Thank you @lordmarcovan for the contest.
    Two different coins of the first collectible Early Dated European coin.
    Entry post.

20. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post.
    My oldest coin will be the one I won from @Theodosius which is 157AD when I receive it (darn slow post). So it would be ineligible anyway.Currently my oldest is a Saxony Conventionsthaler from 1763, minted in Dresden
    20211128_101052 (2)-side.jpg

tibor likes this.
  21. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Entry post.

My oldest is this 4 gani. It says on the ticket 1316-1320 AD.

Sultans of Delhi 4 gani (2a).jpg

Sultans of Delhi 4 gani (3).JPG

It's completely out of my collecting area. I don't understand it. I can't read anything on it. I don't know which is the obverse and which is the reverse. I don't know which way up it goes. It was kindly given to me by a member of another forum to play with, and see if I could get a feel for these coins. I couldn't. :(

Abramthegreat and lordmarcovan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.