[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #63 (instant giveaway: 1865 3c piece)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Update, 10/19/21: This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #59.

This contest is open to anyone who doesn't have a three-cent piece.

It is another instant giveaway, meaning it will be a short-duration contest, as opposed to my longer-running monthly "pick your prize" contests.

The winner will be selected via random number generator at or shortly after midnight tomorrow, eastern US time (so in the early AM hours of Tuesday, October 19th, most likely).

There's a catch. You see, it's a damaged coin. But damaged in a strange and interesting way. At first glance, I wondered if it wasn't a weird error of some sort, like a strikethrough. But as soon as I put a loupe to it I could see that it was affected by post-mint damage of some kind. It appears to have been affected by some kind of localized corrosion, but in an odd ovoid pattern on the reverse. My guess? It might have once been braised or soldered onto something, and later came off, with no trace of the old solder or whatever remaining on the surface of the coin. But I don't know. It's weird how it almost looks like a loop of string was burned on to the surface, though of course that's not it.

So anyway, it's got issues, but it's still an 1865 3-cent piece with decent details, from the last year of the Civil War and the first year for this type.

And it's yours for the low, low price of $0.00, delivered - if you win the drawing. :)

To enter this contest:

1. Just type the phrase "entry post". Multiple replies to the thread are OK, but only one entry post per contestant.

2. Describe what you think happened to this coin. This can be a straightforward technical answer, or an outlandish, bizarre, or humorous made-up scenario. I'm not sure we'll ever know the real answer anyway.

imageedit_10_4823122283.png imageedit_12_8633979720.png

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post - Never been the first before. Probably not the best position to win. The coin looks to be a victim of ringworm.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    expat and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post, I believe it was store in such a way that the cord necklace was press against the reverse. Very odd looking pmd.

expat and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

vurm.jpg

john-charles, expat, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Not as many entries in a 42-ish hour contest, though, so your odds are still pretty decent in the drawing, if owning a ringworm-infested three-cent piece has been your lifelong goal. :p

Theodosius, expat and Wizank like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

8. lordmarcovan

Somebody gave that coin a hickey! :kiss::nailbiting::yack:

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post im thinking its just a ground find and the damaged areas are just the effected sections for some reason.

10. lordmarcovan

Nope. I'm a former detectorist, and while I never personally dug any 3cN, my local dig buddies have, and the environmental damage they got in the ground is really not much different from what you see on other copper-nickel alloy coins (like nickels).

If this were a ground find, all of the surfaces would be uniformly porous, not just isolated areas. And most of the time it would be much darker.

I'm guessing that heat melted something into the coin in those places, which is why I think it got braised or soldered or something, to attach it to another item. Another metal item. Almost as if a chain link got attached there, though if that was the case, I'd expect to see the "ring" more towards the center of the coin.

Speculation, of course. So who knows. But I'm fairly confident this is not a dug coin or a case of simple environmental damage. This was done by the hand of Man rather than Mother Nature.

ominus1 and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

Mabey it was soldered to a mini horseshoe and was taken off:wacky::wacky:.

12. lordmarcovan

Now you're cookin'! ;)

But you neglected to tell us what color the mini-horse was... and its name! :rolleyes:

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

Little deputy and the color was grey.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

If it was a female mini-horse, I'd have said her name was Neighdine.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  15. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Entry post, please!
    Fantastic!
    What an amazing contest, and a very exciting coin you've put up for grabs, as you all very well know...
    It's the map to where the confederate gold is hidden. See, Johnny Reb and Billy Yank knew that things were winding down in '65 so they buried all the gold in a little field down south, or up north, or in between, i forget, "IR"regardless, they buried the gold and put the map on that there coin. That little blob marks the spot!
    Good luck to all contestants, a big thank you to @lordmarcovan for another wonderful contest.

16. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

@CoinJockey73 . What are you smoking this fine Sunday ? :hilarious:
    Here's an even better story ..... Blah blah blah !!!

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  17. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I gave up cigarettes a few years ago ;). @lordmarcovan said to tell what you think happened. Sorry if i have the imagination of a nine year old :angelic:.

lordmarcovan and SensibleSal66 like this.
  18. SensibleSal66

Entry Post ----
    Aliens :blackalien: Came zapped the coin with a lightening bolt and it imaged on the coin as you all see before you fine people here Today.
    Seriously , looks a drill bit marked it up in my honest opinion .

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  19. SensibleSal66

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  20. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

21. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post

The texture of the affected area on the reverse makes me think its a strike through from a string of yarn. Thanks for the giveaway!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.