[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #62 (instant giveaway)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You were quick, and caught that between my image upload and the narrative edit. ;)

There was no victory... and no finds. Except the donuts. But it was a nice day anyway.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Got me:D:Dstill its nice to get outside anyway.

love old coins and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

The random number generator hath spoken, and it chose the lucky number...

36!

36.png

And Post #36 was by... @Mad Stax!

Congratulations, @Mad Stax ! The late bird got the worm, this time. ;)

Since you just bought some stuff from me (which has already been shipped), I have your address.

I think you might have gotten a Type 1 elongate in your goodies already (I know you got a Type 3.) So you might end up with a duplicate elongate, but you have that '27 dime coming as well. (See Post #39.)

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

6. lordmarcovan

(Belated reply)

On the Type 1 elongates, rolled on Wheat cents, those were the first time I had any done, and I wasn't sure how visible the host coin date would be after the coins got rolled out. And I wanted it to be clear that they were rolled on Wheat cents. So I specified that the reverse side of the host coin show on those. Almost all of the host coins from that batch were of the same date anyway. I forget what it was now. 1952, I think. I sent some solid-date circ rolls to Cindy Calhoun to use. A few did come out with the dated side of the host coin showing. But most show the Wheat ears side like I specified.

All of my subsequent elongated coin types (including the Type 2 pieces that were done on Mercury dimes the same year) have the dated side of the host coin on the back, and in most cases, the host coin dates are indeed still visible after elongation. (Though this is not always the case with some of the Type 3s, which were done on cull Indian cents, and didn't turn out so well.)

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There used to be a table at the FUN Show, and the seller had a machine to elongate coins. He also had a box of elongated pennies for sale, and all of them clearly showed the date. I would make it a point to sort through them to pick out dates and mintmarks that I didn't have.

tibor and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Woo hoo! Thanks for the contest, can't wait for the mail to arrive! Sorry to hear the detecting excursion was a bust :( Those donuts look mighty good though! :hungry:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

If y’all enjoyed the live-action aspect of this one (even though it turned out to be non-action-packed and an anticlimactic dud), maybe I’ll do another “predict what I’m gonna find” contest soon. Like I did with the live fossil hunt in Giveaway #15, which @Cheech9712 won. That was a blast.

That shark tooth site is just up the road from my house, and only requires a set of eyes instead of an electronic device. That might be fun. Anybody want some fossil shark teeth? ;)

Lueds, Hookman, masterswimmer and 3 others like this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

That sounds like fun, bring it on! We have a grand total of ONE
    20211006_081906 (2).jpg 20211006_081928 (2).jpg

11. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Just took a peek at that thread.. those snaggletooth teeth are badass!

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Hookman and expat like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Yeah, that was a fun outing, despite the weather.

14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

@lordmarcovan :happy: Love sharks teeth . Never owned one and to find one in the wild must be super neat .:)

15. lordmarcovan

It's fun. I'll get out there again soon, and take y'all with me.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  16. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Cool !! @lordmarcovan . You ever find any Arrow Points on land ? That sounds fun also . Never owned or found one of those either . Just fossilized Cow Poop ! :hilarious:

17. lordmarcovan

A few. Only three or four, over the years. But one was a nice Paleo point.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I also just read that thread from cover to cover. Honestly, it was riveting. I enjoyed it a lot. I wish I'd taken part in the festivities.

Those snaggletooth and meg teeth are awesome. I'm trying to get my grandson (5 y/o) into fossils. I've made a couple of purchases for him. No shark teeth yet. He brings it up to me more often than I'd have thought. Young minds......very impressionable. I'm excited to continue guiding him.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Well, that settles it, then. I'll go out to Bladen Road and see if I can replay that outing (minus the lightning and rain, maybe, and the giant snapping turtle). Probably not today (Wednesday), but maybe on the weekend. Or sooner, if I've got the energy one of these mornings. It's not quite so oppressively hot these days. 'Skeeters have been pretty bad, though.

20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

100% guaranteed I'll be following along. Looking forward to seeing your spoils.

BTW, I realized why I didn't partake in the previous search. Unless I had Doc Brown's DeLorean I wouldn't be able to get back in time. Your escapade was in 7/2018. I didn't join until 2/2019.

I'll wait with bated breath.

21. lordmarcovan

Check out the point my dig buddy found since the last time I saw him.

C38BE563-1FAB-4F2F-ABD3-A3FFE6AC070D.jpeg

And speaking of shark teeth, the same guy found THIS Megalodon. That’s a $1K+ tooth, easy. Those are adult hands in the photo.

D552F882-432F-4440-ABCA-7AF05D97FA0F.jpeg

Don’t even get me started on this guy’s detecting finds...

E78DDBC4-063C-4CDD-8F13-614253E52D45.png

tibor, Lueds, SensibleSal66 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.