[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #57 (three prize drawings, including gold)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM Giveaway #57 (three prize drawings)

9/1/21: This contest is now CLOSED. Winners were announced in Post #168 (Prize A), Post #171 (Prize B), and Post #173 (Prize C).

This giveaway is brought to you by Ladymarcovan's "bouquet" of kittens: Sara, Chip, and Smudge, our latest fosters. All were recently placed for adoption through No Kill Glynn County, and have since gone to their new "forever" homes.
    (*No, the three kittens are not the three prizes mentioned. Keep reading!)

248D8562-72D3-4036-A91C-90B7B5804D0E.jpeg
    I only chopped the top of Ladymarcovan's face out of the photo because she wanted me to.

Hello, and welcome to the latest giveaway. :)

There are three drawings in this contest, to make up for the fact that I did not offer a June or July contest. So this one is to cover June, July, and August.

I've also decided it's time to throw another gold piece out there. Granted, it's a fairly small piece of gold, but I doubt anyone has ever complained about free gold, right? ;)

See Post #2 for the prize descriptions, but please read these rules first...

To enter this giveaway:

1. Tell us whether you own (or have owned) a gold coin before. If you have not, then you're eligible for Prize A. I would prefer that this prize be somebody's first piece of gold. If you have owned a gold coin before, you're not eligible for Prize A but will still be included in the drawings for one of the other two prize lots (B or C).

2. Tell us what item(s) you might choose if you win Prize B or Prize C, both of which are $25 credit ("pick your prize") options from my inventory. Posting your hypothetical advance choice is merely so I can hear what folks like. Your prize pre-selection is not final- you may always change your mind later if you actually win.

One entry post per member. Additional conversational posts are fine, but will not increase your chances in the random drawings. One entry post gets you entered in all three drawings, though again, you must meet the condition in Rule 1 above in order to win Prize A.

Alternately, if you do not feel like entering the contest on your own behalf, you may nominate another CoinTalk member to receive your prize instead. Just name your designated member. Then if you do win the drawing, your nominee will get the prize credit.

Entries from international members are welcome. As usual, there is no shipping charge nor any strings attached. Minors, please get your parents' permission to receive items in the mail.

The random drawings should take place on or around September 1st, 2021, but if they happen to get delayed by my absence, you may consider the contest to still be open and running until I return and announce its closing.

Sorry my messages are always so longwinded. I can’t seem to help it.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("lordmarcovan")
    Golden Isles of Georgia, July 31, 2021

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Giveaway archive

C5C7250B-C422-479A-8D75-4559ED7329C0.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Here are the prizes. Again, there will be three drawings. Your single entry post will enter you into all three, but you must be a first-timer who's never owned a gold piece in order to be eligible to win Prize A.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Prize A:

Mexico: gold fantasy token portraying Emperor Maximilian, "1868" (ca. 1949-1960s)
    9c Mex Token 6.jpg
    Obverse: MAXIMILIANO EMPERADOR; bust of Maximilian I of Mexico right.
    Reverse: IMPERIO MEXICANO; eagle, "1868" fantasy date, wreath below.
    Issuer: Private mint, struck circa 1949-1960s.
    Specifications: Gold, 22K (approx. .916 fine), diameter 12 mm, weight 0.4 g, die axis 12h.
    Provenance: Ex-JAZ Numismatics Auction #177, 12 March 2021.
    Commentary: This was acquired from one of @John Anthony 's private auctions. I have copied and pasted his description below:

"Mexican gold tokens started being produced in 1949 by various private mints. They range from 8k to 22k, and some varieties were struck in silver. Most of the types are related to Maximilian, who ruled Mexico from 1864 to 1867. These are fantasy tokens but are frequently misrepresented on eBay and elsewhere as bona fide Mexican 1-peso coins. They were made for collectors, jewelry use, as tourist trinkets, and wedding gifts. Although many were used as wedding tokens, none are marked as such. This token tested out at 22 karats, which is about .916 fine."

Prizes B & C:

Each is a $25 credit toward any item(s) of your choice from my inventory.

Prize B and Prize C are each a $25 credit. Do not concern yourself with shipping costs- those are included. To choose, you may browse my inventory
    If your final selections total up to less than $25, I can make up the difference with additional gift coins. If you wish, you may also select prize(s) that are worth more than $25, but you would owe me any additional balance if that is the case. Your prizes here are the $25 vouchers.

[Edit- gallery link updated 8/15/21.]

Click the treasure chest or here to open the prize gallery. Now that I have my existing inventory moved to the new site, I hope to add some new material there by the time the drawing is done.

[​IMG]

GMAof8, CoinJockey73, GH#75 and 8 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

This contest is now open.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Entry post. Cute cats. I have some small gold coins. If I should win I would like any silver Washington quarter. Welcome back...long time no see you here.

6. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Cute furr balls. I have never owned a gold coin. Thanks @lordmarcovan for the new contest.

7. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    I have never owned a gold coin before...if I win, I would like to have: Prize B: the United States copper-nickel clad Roosevelt dime, 2004-D, broadstruck error
    Prize C: the United States: copper-nickel 3-cent piece, 1865
    Thank you for the opportunity/contest!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    Lovely kittens, we are now with our 3rd rescued from the street.
    I have numerous gold
    Prize B: United States: copper-nickel clad Roosevelt dime, 2004-D, broadstruck error
    Prize C: United States: silver Washington quarter, 1956
    20201024_143214.jpg

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post prize B the 1852 large cent and C the 1899 barber half. 20210211_124049.jpg 20210502_082726.jpg 20210502_082733.jpg

10. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

Entry post. I want one of the Kittens.
    I have never owned a Gold Coin. Thanks for the opportunity!

11. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.
    No, never had a gold coin.
    If I were to win B/C I'd throw in a little extra and get the Capped Bust half dollar.

12. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Entry Post. B/C $25 credit

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  13. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

20200702_204944_kindlephoto-509564676.jpg Entry post
    I do have a gold piece.
    If I were to win I would choose the large cent.

14. Charles Ruge

Charles Ruge Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post. I own gold coins. I'd like any silver half dollar.

15. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post: Prize B/C

If I were to win, I'd put my $25 credit towards the Panamanian balboa (assuming it is still available) or the Mt. Argaeus provincial.

Regardless, I'm definitely not eligible for Prize A since I bought my first piece of pre-33 gold at a show earlier this summer.

1926 $2.50 Gold Coin.jpg 1926 $2.50 Gold Coin Reverse.jpg

Edited to express my prize preferences.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  16. lordmarcovan

For those choosing Prize B/C, don't forget to express which item(s) you are interested in. It really doesn't matter a whole lot since you can always switch choices later if you win. But I just like to hear which items people like the most, and why, to get a better idea of what sort of stuff I might want to add to my inventory later (for future giveaways, among other things).

Even when I'm only giving stuff away rather than selling it, I still like to offer stuff that will tempt people and be appealing to them. That's also the whole idea behind this "pick your prize" business. I'd rather see people win something they actually want, rather than just tossing some castoff stuff of my choice at them in a giveaway. I like to offer options, in other words.

17. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Entry post. I have owned gold coins (still have one). If I win B. or C. I'd like it to go to @Johndakerftw up North, eh? She needs little boost right now.

"Smudge" - years ago we had a neighbor lovingly called "Smudge." He was a mechanic and usually came home with oil and grease all over, hence the name. The name is very dear to me. Glad to see it used.

My daughter and grandson go to the local animal shelter every Thursday afternoon to pet and cuddle the cats. I applaud their little acts of kindness, especially considering that my grandson is allergic to cats. He takes a prophylactic dose of allergy medicine and washes his hands and face thoroughly when he is done.

Kudos to you, Lord and Lady M for your fostering work.

Steve

Hookman, buckeye73, MIGuy and 6 others like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

If @Johndakerftw hasn’t owned a gold coin before, then I reckon she’s eligible for Prize A as well, if she wanted it. We’ll see how it all shakes out later, once the drawings are done.

19. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST!

No gold here.
    I enjoy the background story
    and history of the coin.

Those three sweet furry babies sure are cute. I miss mine so much each day as they are no longer with us after 23 and 15 years.

Thank you for the time you spend to bring this contest to all who care to participate.

You and your wife are the real treasure.

India was adopted after taking his afternoon naps on our deck for an entire summer. The beginning was rough transitioning him into an indoor/supervised outdoor only cat. But once we had, he was the best pet companion anyone could ever hope to have.

Attached Files:

MIGuy, love old coins, DEA and 3 others like this.
  20. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry post.

I don't own any gold coins... yet ;)
    Count me in for prize A!

Thank you @lordmarcovan for another amazing giveaway! Great to have you back!

To keep it coin related, here is a nicely toned ASE I acquired recently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

From the remais of your house that caught on fire:smuggrin::smuggrin:J.K.

MIGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.