LordM, coin_nut, & Paddy54 giveaway, November 2017

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hi! Welcome to November! :)

Let's do another drawing.

As with my recent monthly giveaways, winners will be selected by random drawing; in this case, on or shortly after December 1st.

Since November is Thanksgiving here in the USA, let's make that the theme.

All you need to do is post something you're thankful for, whether or not it's related to coin collecting.

Also, as with October's giveaway, please put the words "entry post" into your initial reply, so that when the lucky numbers are drawn at the end of the month, I can sort out people's actual entries from their secondary discussion posts, and that way everybody who wants to enter gets exactly one chance in the drawing.

There will be three prizes. One from @coin_nut, one from @Paddy54, and one from me. Those will be pictured in the subsequent posts.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Curtisimo and Lemme Caution like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

I have updated Prize A. Disregard any commentary over the two medals which were originally supposed to be Prize A. My contribution this month will be:

From @lordmarcovan, Prize A: a Portuguese 20-reis coin from 1873, which I myself won as part of a very fun earlier giveaway from @H8_modern. I put it in a slab-style holder.

In XF, which I'd say this coin easily grades, it is a $65 coin per Krause catalog values.

(Sorry for the cellphone pix.)

[​IMG]

Portugal 20 reis 1873-obv.png

Portugal 20 reis 1873-rev.png

From @coin_nut, Prize B: a Great Britain 1953 coronation crown of Elizabeth II.

(It will either be the one in the photo or one very much like it. I believe it is on the way from him in Thailand to me here in the USA as I type this.)

1953 GB 1 crown obv (3).JPG 1953 GB 1 crown rev (3).JPG

From @Paddy54, Prize C: a "coinucopia" of US and World coins, old and new, including errors and silver and all sorts of wonderful, fun stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Noah Finney, bettann, NLL and 7 others like this.
  4. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

Entry post

5. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

I am thankful my wife for making want to be a better man for her. Sounds cliché but everyone needs a muse to motivate and inspire.

6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This will sound generic, but family. Definitely. I'm about to get on a plane to Florida, where my Uncle Joel had open heart surgery yesterday. He didn't survive. I'm thankful for my family, who pick me up when times are hard.

7. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

So sorry for your loss of an uncle, but like you said who else will better understand your experience and offer you help without strings attached. Friends are great but family is always a constant in challenging moments in life and we all will experience these moments.

8. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Entry post.

Thankful for my family, who puts up with my eccentricities and hobbies.

Thanks for the contest @lordmarcovan and @coin_nut .

Lemme Caution and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Entry post.
    The last few years have brought some stresses, but I'm thankful for my family and kids. My oldest daughter just spent two years in an Asian country doing humanitarian work. Sometimes rather primitive and not so safe. I'm thankful that overall it went well for her and she is back home in one piece, with many experiences and a new maturity. And on this frosty morning I'm thankful for a warm house.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  10. lordmarcovan

(Edit: removed my discussion of the original Prize A. Prize A has been updated. See Post #2 for the updated prize list.)

green18 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just want to know..which one is it? Silver or silver plated? :wacky:

12. lordmarcovan

(Edit: removed my discussion of the original Prize A. Prize A has been updated. See Post #2 for the updated prize list.)

Attached Files:

FBLfinder likes this.
  13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You know my address.. Send them to me! :woot:

14. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Entry post:

Maybe if it's real silver and not plate, then going to a smelter would be fitting. I don't mind the historical pieces, but anything 'newer' that might be propaganda-ish for modern times is distasteful to me (but I'm NOT trying to tell others what/how to collect).

I am truly most thankful for the happy life I get to live. My family. A good job that feeds my brain without sucking the life from me (anymore). Gives me time now to enjoy my family. My immediate family of course (and the long distance between the toxic type). Food, pets, healthy environment, comfortable home. I even get to have a not so cheap hobby, with the time to devote to leisure activities. Some is the result of hard work, but a lot is good fortune.

Coinwise, it's a bit hard to narrow it down. A long story short, this coin was something I had in my head to own at the very beginning of my adult coin collecting (I was living in Japan, and was trying to buy gold bullion or near bullion...and figured a Japanese piece would be a nice addition to my tiny hoard).

The coin turned out to be much more elusive in decent MS than I would have thought, and only just got it in the last year or so. However, the idea of it is what started me down the path of collecting a Japanese type set to start, and then all those other coins.

So, here is a coin to be thankful for (which is secondary to the important things in life):
    [​IMG]

edited to add: This is a 100,000 yen (!) from Showa year 61/1986 commemorating the 60th year of Enthronement. IIRC it's 20 grams of .999 gold or thereabouts.

There was a period when a large # were being sold in Europe and the sudden accusations of counterfeits. Lawsuits or something were involved and suddenly the complaints out of Japan ceased. Either there were a large number as initially thought, or the officials made a mistake and had to retract and make whole the dealer selling. No one talked so perhaps the latter with a gag order to avoid further embarassments.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  15. lordmarcovan

Here are some cute kittens I posted when the topic went slightly dark earlier.

313286_v2.jpg

Actually, those are stock kittens.

Here's one of ours.

(Flash, eyeing my bowl of Ladymarcovan-recipe Tater Bacon Soup.)

20171027_112801.jpg

Flash and Bean, napping. Say it with me, now: awwww

20171019_113443.jpg

16. lordmarcovan

WOW, Cathy! What's the attribution and grade on that Japanese coin? It's stunning, but I must confess I'm unfamiliar with the type.

Lemme Caution likes this.
  17. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

"entry post"
    I'm thankful for all the prizes you have been giving away!
    Ha!
    Actually I'm thankful for so many things I don't know where to begin.
    At the top would by my Faith and Family.

Lemme Caution, Stork and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

You mean like for a broth or something?

19. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Entry Post: I'm thankful for living in a good country. I've traveled the world and lived outside the U.S. and even though it's not close to perfect, it's a great place to live. There are plenty of great countries and areas to live, but I'm grateful I'm here.

20. lordmarcovan

Attached Files:

21. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

entry post...

I am thankful for smiley dogs...

22955.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.