Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That one has always been a crowd-pleaser. Frankly, I'm surprised it survived the recent round of selloffs, but I'm happy it did. During the recent sale, I put a pricetag on everything, and let the chips fall where they may.

I'd be delighted and proud to let you use the image, but let me find you the @Deacon Ray original version that doesn't have the text across the top.

LaCointessa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There's another thread posted about a box of coins he inherited and said that the person worked on or was associated with the rail road.
    I didn't reply there but having just sold a small under 2k collection that had railroad providence I swear coins associated with the railroad are some of the worse I've ever seen. Sad part some were good specimens if not damage.

LaCointessa likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

That's one reason I wanted a Farouk coin. The one above wasn't from his collection, of course- it's just an Egyptian coin with his portrait on it. I thought it was attractive, and it was relatively cheap- only $50-ish after shipping (already in the slab with a TrueView image).

Yes, he's rather infamous for harsh coin cleaning, but like you say... those were different times.

At least one of those old hotels somewhere had machines to wash all the money, and I'm pretty sure they had something that vibrated or tumbled the coins in steel shot or ball bearings to clean them.

The hotel company I work for has just such a machine out at our sister hotel, The Cloister, in the silver polishing room. It is an open-topped tub full of ball bearings the size of BBs, which they put all the silver spoons and forks and smaller utensils into. It vibrates vigorously and cleans the tarnish off the silver that way. Makes a lot of racket, as you can imagine, which is why it's in the basement. The Cloister is a super-swanky five-star resort, so they use a lot of real silver (-plated) service trays and utensils.

LaCointessa and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

As always, I love seeing your unique and fabulous collection!

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Oh! Yaaayy....I should also ask @Deacon Ray for his permission too. I won't share it around. Just for my own personal use... ta' have!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

You have it, my friend!
    DR

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

I wonder why coins associated with the rail road would be some of the worse you've ever seen.....Were they just scratched up?

9. LaCointessa

That Sea Island Inshore Fishing Rodeo sounds way fun.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. LaCointessa

:writer: Dear Deacon Ray,
    Thank you!:happy::)

11. lordmarcovan

@LaCointessa - here's the original image @Deacon Ray did for me. No text across the top. Save and use it as you like. I used it as my desktop wallpaper for a little while, myself.

Too bad a lot of the coins in there have departed my collection- many of them in the very recent selloff- but like I said before, that reshuffling was worth it, since it paid some heavy bills and still allowed me to buy more new goodies afterward.

Maybe one day I'll commission him to do an updated version of this, but if so, I'd like to keep the gold box and the clover in the background, 'cause I like that. I had commissioned him to do the little category banners you see in the first few posts. The treasure box fantasy montage was a nice surprise bonus.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    LaCointessa likes this.
  12. LaCointessa

Hi @lordmarcovan - the image did not attach. Can you send it by private message?

Thanks again...
    LaC
    p.s. Hope the family including the kitties are well.

Yeah! Deacon Ray is just plain awesome!!

13. lordmarcovan

Well, c'mon down! But if you're gonna stay at the Cloister, you'd better have a pretty deep pocketbook. It is a world class five-star resort, and priced accordingly. ;)

I work at the Inn at Sea Island, which is actually on Saint Simons Island rather than Sea Island proper. We're the more affordable "little sister" to the Cloister and Lodge, with lower room rates, but for an additional charge, one can access the amenities at the main resorts, and all the activities like fishing and horseback riding and the Spa and the Shooting School and golf and so on and so forth. There are a ton of activities! It's a true "destination resort".

14. lordmarcovan

Oops. Sorry. I forgot you can't copy and paste an image that originated in a PM conversation (when you do that, it is visible only to you and the other parties to the PM).

Here you go, hopefully...

treasurebox.jpg

15. LaCointessa

Got it.. Thanks @lordmarcovan - In case you want to take it down. YaaaayyyY!

16. lordmarcovan

Why in the world would I want to take it down? :p

I own the rights to it, but I'm fine with anybody using it for noncommercial purposes.

17. LaCointessa

Dunno....Cause it's art and it could show up somewhere without permission? (talking about the one without your name on it)

Gosh, it's gorrrgeous.

18. lordmarcovan

It is indeed art- @Deacon Ray is a true digital artiste- and I wouldn't want somebody using the version with my title on it (that would just be weird), but the original no-text version that he made for me is fine to share, as far as I'm concerned.

People wanna admire pix of my coins? Seems like a compliment to me. :)

spirityoda and LaCointessa like this.
  19. LaCointessa

You are so generous!! You're great!

(Been practicing this profession of mine waaaaayyyy too long). Lolz

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

I finished the list of departures in the summary in Post #7, so the full picture of what went away and what came in with this update is complete now. It was a sobering look at some of the nice stuff that went away, but I'm content with that, considering what the reshuffling enabled me to do. I'm happy with the new additions.

Speaking of that, I squeezed in one last-minute new addition in yesterday, after posting this thread, so I have edited accordingly. This means there is a net gain of one coin to the collection. It has gone from 48 to 49 pieces.

Here is that last-minute addition. I've been wanting a nice US-Philippine piece for a while, and while this one's not a monster, it'll do just fine. I like the earlier (1903-1936) stuff with the large eagles on the shield, while I find the later (1937-1945) US Commonwealth-era Philippine material a tiny bit less interesting.

Philippine Islands (US Insular government): silver 50-centavos, 1921
    [​IMG]
    PCGS MS62; population 25 with 72 higher as of 3/27/2019.

LaCointessa and Paddy54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.