Lincolns Guess The Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 15, 2007.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK! Everyone has been posting their Morgans for guess the grades, let's try some Lincolns. Here are 2 I got in the mail yesterday. They may not be the most valuable, but imho they are a couple nice ones. The 1925- is graded by ANACS and the 1945-S by NGC.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

hmmm, let's see. I'll go with AU58 BN on the 1925 and MS64RD on the 1945-S. Nice!

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

my guesses are:

the 1925 is AU-58 RB

and the 1945-S is MS-66 Red

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say 1925 is AU-58 and 1945-S is 65RD. Nice coins.

6. LSM

LSM Collector

The 1925 I would grade it AU-55 and the 1945-S I would say MS-64 red. Nice coins!

Lou

7. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

AU-55 on the 1925 and MS-64 RD on the 1945-S

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Maybe my pictures are not too good, but both of those are MS- RED. The cheek and above the ear of the 25 is on the brown side, but the rest of it is red.

9. mikenoodle

ok... 2nd try on the 25 because I stand on MS-66 Red on the 45-S

ummmm MS-64 Red?

10. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

hmmm, that 25 still looks au-58 to me but ms-65 red for sho on the other

11. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

Are the photos scanned? it seems like scanned coins always suffer differential omni lightening orientation, which cause that problem and a very soft focous. Do you have a camera on macro, with a single point light source, that would give a nice photo.

ok anybody want to guess the grade on these??
    I will upload a higher rez photo if need be.

Attached Files:

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Are the photos scanned? - NO

Do you have a camera on macro - YES

with a single point light source - YES

I would guess your coin is MS-66 red. Very nice. Too bad there is not a "S" there.

13. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

64 and 66 red are my guesses.

14. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

Nice...very nice...I'll go MS66RD...looks just as good as the two I have slabbed from PCGS and NGC.

BTW...during the 20's, the mint was pretty sloopy at using worn dies on our Lincolns and hence, many cents from the 20's (not all) can be found very weakly struck. That is why where we may think a coin is a high AU58, but it is actually MS.

Think of Lincolns struck during this time as Morgans struck at the New Orleans mint. Many were struck on dies that probably should have been replaced. All things being equal, I would rather have a MS66 San Francisco Morgan over a MS66 New Orleans minted Morgan anyday (value and rarity aside).

But during the roaring 20's, who really needed pennies, right? At least, that was the attitude back then.

15. mikenoodle

I'd say 67 Red on the 1909

16. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I would say that the 1925-P is a MS-63RB and the 1945-S is a MS-66R!

I also believe that that some of that rub on Lincoln's cheek and hair may have occurred after ANACS graded it and is due to it getting banged around in a rattly holder where the coin is not fit tight and is slapping the front and back.

Frank

17. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I would have to say that it is at least an MS-67RD but may be MS-68RD! That is a really nice 1909-P VDB Cent!

Frank

18. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

That's a nice 1909. I'd say MS67RD.

19. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't know if I need a new camera, a new camera operator or something else, but no one guessed high enough for either coin. The 1925 is MS-65 RED and the 1945-S is MS-67 RED. Here are teh pictures.

Attached Files:

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

By the way, for all the slamming of eBay (myself included), you can get some bargains. You can even get some descent service. I believe I got both for both of these coins. I paid $48 for the 1925 and $26 for the 1945-S -including shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted