Kennedy Halfs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ryanh55, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

So I went to the bank today to get some halfs $150 searched through them and this is what I found: Very Fun

1-64
    1-65
    1-66
    1-67
    1-68
    4-99

Are all Kennedy halfs from 1964-1970 silver? I can see the silver content of the 64 .36169oz so if I find a 1964 kennedy no matter what does it have this much silver in it? and the 65-70s do they have .800 silver? I am not sure how to read the red book, or do only the 65-70 S have the silver in them?

Now what do I do? it was fun.... take them to a dealer? I will return the rest to exchange for new rolls. I live by a very busy bank and they had many many more rolls in the vault.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Becareful it you go to a dealer. The dealers around here only wanted to pay .70 cents a coin and another wanted to only pay .62 cents a coin.
    Might be better off finding a lot and then selling them by the roll on ebay.
    Hope you FIND many more! :D
    SM

4. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

By weight the 64's are 90% silver and the 1965-1970 halves are 40% silver.

You can save them as an investment in silver or trade them in to a dealer for a little less than their melt value.

I recommend returning them to a different bank than you got them from so that the next time you go there you don't get the same coins back again.

Nice finds! the 1965 is way more difficult to find in circulation than the 64 is (but the 64 is still more than twice as valuable).

5. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

So what do I really want to be searching for? I know the obvious pretty much anything in circ with a S mint in good condition. looks like anything 64-70 I found almost 2 rolls worth of Bicentenials. I am not really trying to fill a book YET but...... might get hooked

6. The_Cave_Troll

I pull any 1970 or earlier, anything with an "S" MM, the 1974D DDO (look for doubling on the RUS of TRUST), all 1987's (P,D,S), all 1982P, all 1999's (P,D,S), all 2002-2005 coins, and any BU coins from 1978-1988.

It looks like a long list, but it is usually a pretty small group of coins.

7. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

Thanks that will be a great start...

8. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

Thanks

9. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

So.... cave troll thanks alot!!! went and cashed the halfs I got the other day into a different bank... picked up some more halfs and here is what I found: :D

1-64
    1-66
    1-67
    3-68
    1-82P
    1-87P
    8-99
    1-02

is this about average for getting 14-15 rolls of halfs?

10. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

Good God. I have only one thing to say: GET MORE.

11. Morgan

Morgan New Member

:eek:

Not avaerage at all. Get more, and give me some.:D

12. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

Why do you guys bother keeping 1999s? I regularly get them and toss them into the returns bag. Are they hard to get in certain areas of the country?

I get to pick up 50 rolls of halves today. :D

13. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Ryan you inspired me to pick up some rolls of half dollars today and the result was gooooood! In the past, I have gotten as much as 300 dollars in halves at a time and not found one 1970 or older coin in the lot. Today however, out of 180 dollars in halves, I found:

2-1964's
    1-1965
    1-1966
    1-1967
    2-1968's
    and
    1-1969

The unusual thing was that at my first bank they said that they didn't have any halves in rolls until Thursday but they did have a roll of the new Oregon quarters if I wanted them - Philly minted. It was a very good day!
    Thanks for the inspiration buddy! That's what keeps me coming back to CT.

14. The_Cave_Troll

NO, it's way better than average! Average for silver is approx. 1 silver coin per 5 rolls and I've only every pulled 1 1987P and I've searched $15K in halves this year.

I keep the 99's because the P has a mintage of <9 Million and the D has a mintage of <10.9 Million; and the arbitrary number that I set for which dates to keep was any coin with a mintage of less than 11 Million (only the 1982P, 1987P, 1987D, 1999P, 1999D, and everything 2002 and newer). I have considered lowering the number to coins with less than 10.5 Million minted and that would eliminate the 99D, but so far I don't have enough for it to be a problem.

15. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

I got my first 1987-P this year too, about 4 months ago, in EF-40 condition. I estimate that I've been through about $34,000 in halves so far with 6 weeks to go before a calendar year has lapsed. I'm almost embarassed to admit that. ;)

OK, I see. I've just sorted so many of those darn 1999s that long ago I got into the habit of ignoring them. I did pull 2 for my Dansco album.

Thanks for the insight, Cave.

16. ryanh55

ryanh55 New Member

No problem Moen..... ;) my pleasure....

I am still at a loss to what I am going to do with them... I think it would take a really long time to get a whole roll of 64s or 68s....or do you just say; I have a roll of mixed 64-70s and sell them like that? you can probably do anything you want I know but (shrug)...

Either way going back tomorrow to do it all over again its been fun.. I really wish I had started this stuff a while ago..

And Cave troll the 87P is in pretty good condition I think, (for being in circ.) hardly any scraches and still has really good luster.. I dont think I will keep the 99 though.. more for you..

17. WillieSutton

WillieSutton Member

You guys are making me nervous. I'm home with no halves to search. That will change soon. But will there be any keepers left??

Well, at least leave me the Frankies and Walkers!!

Willie (The Ghost of)

18. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

Dude, I plan on going to every bank in my area and buy halves if they have any.

19. WillieSutton

WillieSutton Member

Wheat,

Stick to pennies, will ya!

Willie (The Ghost of)

20. WheatPenny

WheatPenny Member

LOL; I gotta get a piece of the action!!

21. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I really don't know why I had so much success today. I do know that I'm going back tomorrow and buying the rest of their rolls. I like switching the types of coins that I search through just to break up the bordom. Halves are good to me because they are easy to search and not too hard on my old eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.