Just got the elusive 1916 Barber Half....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 18, 2015.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Yupp, it is pretty elusive. In fact it does not exist. However, the Daniel Carr fantasy coin restrike does, and I just ordered one. Here is the seller's picture, until mine arrives. It is ostensibly MS 67+, and looks really neat in the seller photo:

mm_barb_50_1916_hg.jpg

NOS, loopytoad74, Effigy303 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Attractive, but not into fantasy pieces

Endeavor, ernie11 and rzage like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Isn't the word "COPY" supposed to be on it?

Chris

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No more than it's supposed to be on a hobo nickel or an elongated penny. In each case, a modification is made to a legal-tender coin, but without intent to deceive or defraud.

Hommer and Morgandude11 like this.
  6. -jeffB

On another note, I'm fed up with regretting not buying the Carr fantasy restrikes. I think I'm in on this one, especially since I've already completed my set of actual Barber halves.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Thanks for posting, just ordered mine and will send it off the ANACS after it arrives.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I ordered 2. I always miss out on these Carr pieces when they are first offered. I normally don't collect them. The one other CARR piece I did get was the 2003 D Sacagawea prototype which I gave to a friend as a gift. I find the prices on ebay and other sources are much higher on resale. I was happy to see they were very affordable.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Do third party graders actually grade copy coins ?

10. -jeffB

I've seen DCarr coins in ANACS and ICG slabs. I don't suppose PCGS and NGC grade them, at least not yet.

Edit: see above, and many other threads, for "copy" vs. "fantasy restrike" discussion. Since there never was a 1916 Barber half, this isn't a "copy" of anything. "Altered surfaces", sure...

Paul M. and Morgandude11 like this.
  11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Yes, but I was just wondering, if they grade a non-coin, would they grade say a fake Chinese trade dollar, or just body bag it ?

12. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

There should be the word "counterfeit" stamp across the Lib's cheek.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not a COPY.
    A fantasy piece

JackMorgan likes this.
  14. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Anyone know how many will be minted?

15. Dancing Fire

So you are saying this is not a COPY of a Barber half?:rolleyes:

16. -jeffB

That's precisely what we're saying. It's an alteration of a Barber half. Or, if you prefer, the destruction of a Barber half.

I suppose you can talk about "copies" of coins that never existed, like this one, but it seems a bit silly to me.

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  17. Morgandude11

Usually in the neighborhood of 250-350. They are in demand, generally. And to answer a previous question, no other company will slab the Carr coins except for ANACS--they slab all of them--restrikes, tokens, etc.

18. Morgandude11

Nope, as it is a fantasy coin that does not exist. Daniel Carr dates his coins with a date and mintmark that never existed, so it is a fantasy coin, much as any token is.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, you mean that anyone can strike a coin with identical details to those found on a United States coin - denomination, In God We Trust, United States of America and E Pluribus Unum - and just because it has a date that never existed, it is legal?

Chris

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1964-D MS69 + Bulk MS64.jpg
    NOTICE They are grades as TOKENS

swamp yankee and Morgandude11 like this.
  21. Dancing Fire

IMO,no...No difference if I were to strike the coins in my basement.

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted