Is this for real? MS67 and CAC!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Hummm...the link is jacked.

4. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I think it works now

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

After reviewing the listing, I really think the seller needs to correct the red on their white balance. The label is supposed to be blue, not white/pink, right?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Older PCGS slab labels are well known for changing colors.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

8. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

im confused .. I guess the coin was returned? But why when the seller was so" up front" about the coin.

This time .. a lot more subdued and matter of fact..

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well there are a lot of people who might think it is a bad picture - and bid anyway trying for cheap win. Who knows.

10. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

The use of zinc over steel is normally for it to be a sacrificial metal to protect the steel underneath - when the zinc is finally eaten the steel corrodes next - unlike most other coin surfaces which strive to be inert.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

When exposed to moisture, it's worse for a coin to be stored in a nearly sealed holder than to sit out on a table or window sill. Why? Because once moisture enters the holder it takes a long time for it to escape again, whereas out in the open it can evaporate very rapidly, reacting with the coin for far less time. One of the reasons so many coins faired well in old wooden coin cabinets is because (1) the moisture had a greater affinity for the wood than for the metals, and (2) because there was so much surface area of the wood compared to that of the coins.

With such cabinets no longer in widespread use among collectors, coins are not likely to be similarly spared and, being in holders that are substantially sealed in slabs, 2x2s, airtites, etc, one should always keep freshly dried dessicant where the coins are stored.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not quite. Although this may be true in water or other such media. However, in air, it forms a layer of zinc oxide over its surface. Zinc oxide is extremely stable and prevents further oxidation. Thus it keeps the base zinc from further corrosion. Aluminum does the same thing.

13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

^ notwithstanding ^ . Actually it is the same. I agree that the oxide is formed, but there by the zinc is consumed, and given wear or further influx of reactants things proceed. Nobody, and by that I mean: NOT ANYBODY ever expected a zinc plated steel planchet to stand up to use. It was a trade off for the war effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted