Is this for real? MS67 and CAC!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Wow. Surely that thing didn't turn that fast.

4. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not just sure what to look for, but I see nothing to indicate to me it is a fake. If anyone knows more, please comment.

6. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

but who was bar code?

-jeffB likes this.
  7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Bar code checks out, but counterfeiters have access to the same info.

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

It is my personal belief that the coin could have graded 67 and then, because zinc is a ruddy metal, the "milking" happened after slabbing. I have money on improper storage.

SPP Ottawa likes this.
  9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that slabs do not adequately protect against environmental damage to coins...shame.

coervi likes this.
  10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, I believe PCGS went to 8 digit numbers in 1990 and CAC did not start until 2007. That gives a minimum if 17 years in the slab before CAC saw it and a maximum of 6 years after it was stickered.

jallengomez likes this.
  11. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

How much would you value this coin before, and how about after?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not much to me, but it fills a registry spot. It is already up to $45

13. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Slabs, Air Tites and other forms of encapsulation are not immune to poor storage conditions, especially high humidity...

One can only imagine what the eye-appeal of that piece was prior to the recent oxidation...

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

15. mush195

mush195 Member

Yikes. Well, even CAC make mistakes sometimes. I've seen a number of CAC stickered coins that I thought weren't particularly good looking.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to e-mail CAC the link to that auction and get their opinion on the coin.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty sure that coin was slabbed between 1999 and 2002, but I know of no way to pin down when CAC saw it.

Anythings possible, but if it hadn't changed in the 5 to 9 years, and maybe more, before CAC saw it, then there is a very good possibility it was like that when they did see it.

17. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

I bid on it for the novelty. but not $66 of novelty. If not for this thread ... hmm neat!

18. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

lol thats what it is , their opinion is being expressed in the form of a bid. maybe its pcgs and cac bidding each other up?

7 dif bidders..

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Wow!
    Never recall seeing one that badly changed.
    I know zinc oxidizes more quickly than the other normal coining metals but that change is striking!

I'm going to go with:
    -- the fingerprint was on the coin before it was slabbed (that's a duh).
    -- poor storage AFTER the CAC sticker accelerated the change.

Outside shot at it being a "flood" coin, i.e., it got soaked during a flood.

20. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

The oxidation isn't too surprising if the coin went from a dry climate to a wet one. I received some blue steelies that would have been MS64 or so. I gave them to a friend's father, and within a week of giving them to him (he put the two coins into the trophy/display case next to their kitchen), the coins were 30% oxidized on the surface.

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I guess we will not get to see how much it was worth. eBay just pulled it. I wish I could find out why they pulled it.

Draft saved Draft deleted