Is this Chinese Cash coin real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 16ga, May 6, 2024.

1. 16ga

16ga New Member

I don't know much about these but i got it in a lot of foreign coins. I tried looking it up awhile back but couldn't find anything that matched both sides so I'm wondering if its fake?
    20240506_105618.jpg
    20240506_105647.jpg
    I believe it says its from the reign of emperor Shunzhi if I'm not mistaken.
    Can anyone help confirm if it matches a real coin or what it is? thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

It should be real. Even though these can be quite old they are not rare and only sell for a dollar or so. People don't really fake them.

5. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Type is definitely of the Shun Zhi Emperor (1644-1661), reverse is Board of Revenue mint in Beijing, Hartill 22.70. But the Manchu calligraphy on the reverse is very unusual for this type- the thin lines remind me of what I've seen on modern copies. (And yes, modern copies definitely exist of common Qing dynasty cash, some intended for use in divination using the I Ching, others sold as tourist souvenirs.) (Compare the examples in Hartill's book, or go through the examples from searching "Shun Zhi Tong Bao" on zeno.ru .) But this doesn't have the "pebbly" surfaces that those copies normally have, and the brassy metal is correct (most modern copies are in a more coppery metal). But I'm not convinced this is a genuine coin.

Muzyck likes this.
  7. 16ga

16ga New Member

Thanks everyone!
    Thank you. So more then likely its a really good counterfeit? I'll hang on to it for now but I'm keeping it out of the collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted