Is this a real 1921-S Buffalo?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I have my doubts as if this is a real 1921-S Buffalo, the front lacks much detail but the reverse seems to be very sharp.

The listing says it weighs in at 4.9g, so 0.1 off.

I wanted to bid but I'm very rookish when it comes to Buffs, just wanted to know if anyone thinks it's real. It ended up selling for roughly $140 or VG/F money....

Looks like a counterfeit to me..... so am I wrong?

bf.JPG bff.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't like it at all.

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

see that line on the rim of the reverse? under magnification, does it look like a seam? someone could have done the "two headed nickel" deal to it, milled down an "s" to fit into a 1921 obverse..oops just realized you dont have it in hand..

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since you didn't buy, are you willing to post the link?

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Let's just say that had they wanted a "two headed nickel", milling would not have been necessary. ;)

7. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

looks like an overstrike the way that both sides have an "inner rim"

9. athrose

athrose Member

does the obverse appear to have more wear than the reverse? Seems strange.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great move NOT bidding!

Congrats on saving your money and the associated heartburn.

Look carefully and somewhere there should be a P mintmark (for Peking).

11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

The seller states in the description that it looks as if its the real thing. meaning its not.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have even considered bidding on it because it's not located in the U.S. and too much of a risk on being lost in transit.

13. coin dexter

coin dexter Junior Member

The image of this Buff is terrible to say the least. I couldn't even muster a guess with these images. Stay away would be my suggestion....DEX

14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No way that is real.

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

That little "ding" below the "s" will appear on other dates as well, which I determined after purchasing similar items from the J-man a number of years ago (when you could "legally" buy replicas on eBay). Very often die indicators will appear in successive years, as the same reverse die is used.

17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I understand that there is no need for someone based in the US to consider sellers from abroad. But I don't see any issues with shipping, just make sure you have paypal, registered mail and/or an int'l tracking number.

18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Not really. I have a shield nickel with a very worn obverse but a reverse in great shape.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Interesting it was advertised as 1921 , with no mention of the "S" on the back.

20. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Every single U.S. coin sold by the seller is a fake. He puts a disclaimer (not allowed by eBay policy) into his auctions, such as this one for the buff:
    The Coin to me appears as though it could be the real thing. Even though I wouldn't be 100% assured.
    So the coin sells for $57, but apparently since the seller is G.B. based, this is OK....

BUncirculated likes this.
  21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

good catch, Jim!

Draft saved Draft deleted