Is there no sense in Guessing the Grade on this 1883 No Cents Nickel?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, May 22, 2017.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

I am debating cracking this one for my newly started Dansco type set.

But first let's guess the grade and the holder.

Based on your guess, would you crack it?

Note: the two long scratches (upper right and middle right) are on the slab.

IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Looks like an ICG holder with the white fill holder. Probably graded it at a MS 63 maybe 65. If it is, I would crack it, but that me. Cracked plenty of no names TPGs for albums

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Looks like Unc details improperly cleaned. Crack that bad girl!!!!!!

coinzip likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hard to tell what's plastic scuffiness and what's on the coin. Most on the plastic, I suspect? Looks like a nice Dansco crackout candidate. Pretty enough coin.

It's not in one of your rare-bird slabs, is it? ;)

I say 63-64. Details, at least. Maybe straight-grade if most of those parallel "whiz" lines are on the plastic.

coinzip likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Hard to read your images and then 83 V are few a few between high grades.... unc detail 62.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I'd agree some of those scuffs are on the slab. 63/64 because of the weak strike.
    Crack it!

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's an old PCI Green Holder and I think it's slightly under-graded.
    Most of the marks appear to be on the holder and the coin has nice luster.
    There is one hit above the second "T" in "STATES" on the reverse.

IMG_1108.JPG

Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The reverse image is not deceiving us about where some of those scrape marks are located; the relief at the edges of letters and devices is plain. My guess is PCI attributed that to an incidental nondeliberate swipe across something somewhat abrasive, short of "damage" worthy of a red label (did they do red labels in this generation?), and gave it MS60 because the scraping didn't allow anything higher.

ddddd likes this.
  10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Originally PCI was a reasonable TPG but not perfect.
    So when they graded this coin MS-60 I suspect a problem that I can't see unless it's all those wipe/polish lines.
    Based on that I'd crack it.

Insider, lordmarcovan and ddddd like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Very possible! I believe the red labels may have started a little later (but I don't know for sure if they were already around when this particular coin was graded).

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

At a certain angle it does appear like some hairlines are visible on the reverse. I think @SuperDave and @kanga nailed it. It was noticeable enough to net grade down to MS 60 (even though the details suggest it might be in the 63-65 range).

13. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I am not a expert grading this particular coin but I would say PCI would grade this at a low MS. I would grade this coin details AU 58.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes they did, this is a 10 digit serial number of the first green label holders right after they bought the slab shells and equipment from Hallmark. (PCI 5)

ddddd likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'd leave it as is. If you tried to cross this anywhere, it would get bagged for the reverse polishing. There's a reason they called it 60....

Insider and ddddd like this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Maybe I should pull a GSC and sell it raw as Gem BU +++++ :eek:

No I won't...it'll go into the dansco type set I started. It will look best in an album and the reverse polishing won't be too noticeable.

gbandy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted