Indian Head Cent Sunday thread!! Post yours too...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Feb 11, 2024.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

This is my layaway 1908 IHC from 50 years ago, when I was a wee little tot . Still raw after all these years.

20231213_143704.jpg 20231213_144207.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Wow Sal nice thread look at these examples Love It! ty

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

dwhiz likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The mint employees hated working with the copper-nickel planchets which were the base for the copper-nickel Flying Eagle and Indian Cents. The medal was hard a chewed up dies like crazy. Nickel also has a higher melting point than copper, which makes it more difficult to merge into the alloys required.

The Civil War tokens, which were lighter and thinner, showed mint officials that a smaller, lighter cent would be accepted. Therefore the bronze cent replaced the copper-nickel type.

The 1864 Bronze cents were made from the old dies that had been used for the copper-nickel type. Designer, James Longacre, decided to redo the Indian Cent design slightly. The most obvious change was the addition of his initial "L" to the ribbon below the Indian's headdress. If you compare the 1864 Bronze Cents with the 1864-L cents closely, you will find other very minor differences. One of them is the shape of the point of the Indian's bust. It's rounded on the Bronze variety and pointed on the "L" variety.

1864 Bronze, left, 1864-L right

1864 Bronze & L.jpg

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I do like your idea of this thread

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted