ID and Grade guess (VERY OLD)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bonedigger, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here is a rather old coin with the patenia of age all over it. What would you say it was and what grade might it be in? Pretty bad I reckon too.

Thanks
    Bone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

This is, if you dont all ready know, a 1723/2 Wood's Hibernia (Halfpenny?). Pretty sure on the Halfpenny part. You can see a dot lower right of the three indicating the overdate.
    As for the grade, I am not one to know Colonial Issues much, but I would call it a nice F-12 specimen, but with the corrosion, I would say it would net grade to G-4. Everything of the coin is well outlined in detail.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yes, I knew it was a WH 1/2 Penny but didn't know about the overdate. Thanks for the additional information. BTW, I'm just messing with Speedy :)

B

5. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

I see, to hone his grading skills?

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Actually to give him time to ponder and answer before I release the final grade. In this case there will be no final gradde though.

Bone

7. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

For the grade I'd say VG-8.Maybe a little higher. ;) B12

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The William Wood coinage from Ireland is of interest to British Commonwealth coin collectors such as myself.I have got an example of a Farthing & a Halfpenny.Has anyone read Jonathan Swift's 'Draper's Letters'? It is this story that is connected to the Wood's Irish coinage,which was rejected by the Irish & exported to the British colonies in America,where it would be in circulation along side the Rosa Americana coinage,which was also struck at William Wood's mint.If anyone has a copy of the pink Coincraft catalogue,it will have more information about the Wood's coinage from Ireland & its connection to 'Draper's Letters' in there.

King George I ruled from 1714 until 1727.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted