I just heard '09 dime and nickel production is done for the year.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Vess1, May 24, 2009.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I was listening to this week's coinchat radio program and the dealer that they were interviewing said that because of the enormous influx of change that has been cashed in, that places are now having to lease extra space to store all the circulating change. Which is why 09 coinage is barely circulating.

He said the 2009 dime and nickel production has ceased for the year because of this. If this is true, where did they end up? Did they get to 36 million for the nickel as was originally proposed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

it's time for key date's!!!!

4. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

agreed

There was another thread about this a little while back too.

5. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Start looking for them in 2012.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I still don't understand how something with 36 million minted, is a rarity or key date...
    I honestly believe that these 2009 coins, are all flukes, except for the First Spouse coins, which Elaine has provided us with the low mintages those have (Less than 7,000)
    Now..These 2009 are not rare, and will never be rare, they will be hoarded, really, making them worthless, if all the pennies from this year are hoarded, that just means, all the pennies are in BU condition, which means, there really is no premium on those coins
    Please, I am just saying to all of you, do not be fooled by these coins, just because you do not see them in circulation (I found 65 Log Cabins the other day)
    When the first 2009 dime or nickel goes to ebay, somebody start a thread here, about it. I want to see for how much it sells, and whoever buys it, will certainly be sorry

7. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

The first box ($25) of "formative years" sold on feebay for $1699; a week later that same box is $225. Reminds me of the old saying "there's an ass for every seat."

8. Pismo500

Pismo500 Member

I tend to think the 2009s will be semi-key dates, at least. Especially the nickel and dime... I have yet to get any 2009 nickels or dimes despite the fact that I have gotten over 100 of the Lincoln log cabins and a roll here in the San Diego area. I have only gotten 3 "extra" Washington DC quarters and no "extra" Puerto Rico quarters. I had to go to ebay to get my "D" and "P" set for both quarters.

9. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

I have a great idea .....................the coin talk hoard....................

10. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

it'll be a pedigree on slabs :D

11. tmoneyeagles

I don't understand your reasoning behind that statement

2009 Roosevelt dimes:49.50 million in Denver and 96.50 million in Philadelphia

2009 Jefferson nickels: 39.36 million from Denver and 39.84 million from Philadelphia

So how can these be key, or semi key dates? With that many being minted?

12. Pismo500

Pismo500 Member

As I mentioned, I have yet to see a 2009 nickel or dime, which is very unusal for me, and they are VERY short minted this year compared to recent years... In addition, people are saying not even a single coin (2009 nickle and dime) has shown up on ebay.

13. tmoneyeagles

Just because you have not seen them, doesn't make them RARE...
    Wait 6 months...They will show up
    A member on this forum, bob from houston, has find the 09 dimes...
    They are not rare, and have such a high mintage...

14. Pismo500

Pismo500 Member

By the way, does anyone know how 2009 Dime and Nickel production numbers compare to those over the past 40 years or so...?

15. tmoneyeagles

16. Pismo500

Pismo500 Member

17. tmoneyeagles

Okay, but please note, this still doesn't make them rare...
    If the coin had less than 1 million or so in mintage, in total, or even each mint, I might be interested...
    In the mean time, I'm going to look for these dimes and nickels like crazy, because I know some fool will pay way to much for it on ebay

18. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

But if people hoard them, and they are difficult to find, and the basic hobbiest across the country wants to fill that hole in his dansco, they will perhaps have a premium.

And, going off of the links you provided, if the 2009 mint is 1/10 the norm (recently) and the lowest total minted in 40 years, how can it not be a semi key date?

Now, it won't be 32 D quarter, or 16 merc, but I think it will be semi key nonetheless...

19. tmoneyeagles

But take the whole entire series... The whole entire roosie dime set, 64-present, and the jefferson nickel, 38-present. Now assuming that these series won't end anytime, we are going to get lower mintages, sooner or later, and there are already semi keys for the jefferson nickel, and I can't think of any keys for the roosie set, off the top of my head
    If these nickels and dimes, turn out to be the KEYS in their respected sets...There are really no keys at all... You can't have a rare coin, with more than 30 million being minted...
    A semi key to me, is somewhat under 6 or 7 million, a key can be anywhere between 1 million and less, and maybe a little more than 1 million
    Think about the mintages of KEY Dates, in different series..

Keys that are not considered in people's sets:
    1933 Gaudens
    1913 V Nickel

Keys:
    1916 SLQ
    1909 S VDB Penny
    1914 D Penny
    1955 DD Penny
    1922 NO D Penny
    1893 S Morgan
    1893 CC Morgan
    1889 CC Morgan

You see, these are keys, and semi keys are in the below 10 million range... 1910 S, 11S, 12S, 13S, 14S pennies...

These 2009 Dimes and Nickels, COULD be the semi keys in their series, but still won't fetch much, once they are begining to be seen.

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

You make a compelling argument. I'm still going to keep some to see if it can fetch a premium anyway.....Could be 50D nickel all over again?

21. tmoneyeagles

Possibly...
    But hey, I'm with ya...If I can find a 09 dime or nickel..STRAIGHT TO EBAY! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted