I guess feedback means nothing.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Bought this 6d from an eBay seller. No photos, just scans. I would think someone who has a coinshop and has over 7.4k 100% positive feedback would be trustworthy of mentioning any problems with the coin.

As you can see from the scan, it's really hard to tell anything. [​IMG]

I took it with trust that due to the high feedback and the seller knowing thing or two about coins.

Here is the piece as I got it it today. As you can see the reverse has been dipped, and the obverse has been harshly cleaned.
    [​IMG]

Not really worth returning it, but I felt rather scammed as I paid full catalog value for this in auction, even more than that with postage costs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Doug has been saying it for years. And I say bad pictures means no purchase from me. Why take the risk? Feedback is only an indicator of possible issues.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that would be like paying for a coin sight unseen. I would never buy a coin off Ebay without great pictures and a return policy. To bad that coin was cleaned. the detail looks amazing.

5. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It's not that feedback means nothing, Tim. You gambled on poor images and you lost that gamble. There's no "scam" about it. The dealer is not at fault here, he didn't make you bid on the auction. Again, you knowingly bid on a coin with poor images. That's a risk that you took, and unfortunately it didn't work out for you.
    When are you going to learn?

jallengomez and Hiddendragon like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Chalk this up to being one of your more affordable lessons Tim. You'll have more, and some more costly. Package the coin, write a note on the holder about bad imaging, and keep it someplace where you'll see it often. Such reminders will alter your buying habits in positive ways, and serve you very well over the long haul.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have asked some Ebay sellers to e-mail me better pics of a coin and some did and I bought the coin with better pics sent to me. and if the pics did not look right I would say sorry I am looking for a higher grade coin.

8. Detecto92

Yes, it was a lesson, albeit an inexpensive one.

Imagine buying coins via mail in the days before computers. No images at all to go upon (unless the seller had a really nice camera and could send you a photo).

A seller also could of placed an ad for a $1,000 coin, taken payment, and never be heard from again.

I guess those were the "wild west" days of buying coins.

9. tgaw

tgaw Member

anyone who has bought anything on ebay has probably been disappointed sooner or later.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. enochian

enochian silver eater

it seems dealers do this sometimes on coins that cant sell instore

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's when the buyer beware signal should come on.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actually I was on eBay and selling coins back in the mid 1990s when images were not all that common. But eBay was a nicer place back then.

13. Detecto92

I remember seeing many items without images back in the day. I think eBay requires at least one photo now.

Digital cameras were expensive at the time, and I remember when people took FILM photos of their stuff, and uploaded it with a scanner.

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

As usual, another self inflicted agony.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actually it was easier just to scan the image, particularly with higher res scanners. Taking pictures, and scanning them was too much work at least for coins, banknotes. Might have had to if you were selling other stuff. I remember putting some model train cars on my scanner bed and scanning them!

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Tim, have you ever tried to seek out a good world coin dealer or two? I find ebay prices higher than a good world coin dealer. I think you might have luck off ebay. If you wish, i can suggest a few for you.One has a shop just a couple of miles from my house, i could personally check out some coins for you if you wish.

British coins are awfull plentiful.

17. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

always the same story here....would say more but don't want to get in trouble....id say you live and learn but not always

18. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

That's called a pig in a poke.

19. The Goldeneye

The Goldeneye Man with the Golden Coin

Come on why do you do this? It was a poor picture!

20. Detecto92

The seller replied "We didnt do it..Not too familar with non american Coins..Sorry".

Not too familiar with non-american coins? Excuse me, but a cleaned silver world coin will look the same as a cleaned US coin.

21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

In the scanned image, I can clearly see this coin was cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted